Id this brown algae please

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its thick, covers sand and rock, and doesn't come off easy. The tank has had it for a couple of weeks. The tank is over a year old.

IMG_1690.JPG

IMG_1690.JPG

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it might be brown cyano and brown hair algae - the ugly duo. What water are you using?

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's dinoflagellate of some sort, maybe commingling with some cyanobacteria but the dino is the one you'll have trouble getting rid of.... good luck

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sure doesnt look like dinos. Looks like cyano.
Nope it's dino... No use in sugar coating it for him. Dino often cohabitates with cyano as part of it's survival strategy, so there is likely some cyano in that slime mat on his sand bed. But trust me, I've diagnosed and treated enough dino to know it when I see it.

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope it's dino... No use in sugar coating it for him. Dino often cohabitates with cyano as part of it's survival strategy, so there is likely some cyano in that slime mat on his sand bed. But trust me, I've diagnosed and treated enough dino to know it when I see it.

Im going to disagree. Those pictures do not represent dino's from my experience. That looks like cyano and what i've dealt with in the past.

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to disagree. Those pictures do not represent dino's from my experience. That looks like cyano and what i've dealt with in the past.
Fair enough. You certainly have not dealt with much dinoflagellate if you think that is a simple cyanobacteria slime mat. And trust me, for the OP's sake I hope by some miracle you're right and he doesn't have dinos. All the OP will need access to is a cheap microscope and he'll know what he has if he compares his slime to some sample photos of dino and cyano under a scope.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back