ID This Mantis?

Steve Erekson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on the lookout to buy a mantis for a species only setup and right now stock is extremely limited or nonexistent at almost every retailer unless you want a Peacock or a Spearer. I don't have the right setup for either so those options are out. Even a wennerae is almost impossible to get right now. Looking on eBay there's a couple of options but it's very difficult to tell what kind of mantis it is. Anyone have any thoughts on what I'm looking at here?

BA0tCwg.png

I asked for some more pictures that can maybe show the raptorial appendages but who knows if they'll be able to provide them. I've checked all the guys on Roy's list and can't seem to find one that matches this sort of look. The closest thing I can come up with is maybe Neogonodactylus oerstedii? Any help would be appreciated.

OP
OP
S

Steve Erekson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% Stomatopoda?
Well yes, yes I'd say it's definitely a stomatopod. I emailed the seller and they said it's from South Phillipines so that eliminates oesterdii as an option so now I'm thinking Haptosquilla stoliura. Unfortunately according to Roy that's not a very active species so likely wouldn't be a great choice for me.

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a quick eBay search and there are two listings for a ciliata. They’re really interactive but they’re not smashers.

OP
OP
S

Steve Erekson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a quick eBay search and there are two listings for a ciliata. They’re really interactive but they’re not smashers.

Yeah I'm pretty settled on a smasher for my first one. I guess I'll have to wait for someone to get a wennerae in stock.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mantis shrimp are highly variable in color so would need to see meral spots at minimum to make a accurate ID. I have even had red ones turn green.

My wild guess is chiragra based on mottled appearance, yellow appendages, and they are common in shipments. Also can be found in philipines.

OP
OP
S

Steve Erekson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mantis shrimp are highly variable in color so would need to see meral spots at minimum to make a accurate ID. I have even had red ones turn green.

My wild guess is chiragra based on mottled appearance, yellow appendages, and they are common in shipments. Also can be found in philipines.

I'm not focused too much on color for that reason. I was going back and forth on chiragra but ended up crossing that one off based on the shape of the tail (telson?) H. stoliura has that very flattened telson that we're seeing in the picture here and chiragra is a more traditional shape. Either way neither is ideal for me so we're going to keep monitoring for a while for a wennerae, smithii, or havenesis.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back