ID this Spider please

PapaShrimp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey. So I noticed my torch coral which has three heads was starting to recede, on all three heads. I noticed quite a few legs appearing out of the fleshy skeleton part so took the coral out and dipped it and 3 of these little guys came off. Picture isn’t great but in tank it had 6 red and white coloured striped legs. These didn’t move around tank and were lodged into coral. Any idea what they are and if they are likely to harm corals when they seem to have buried into their base?

All of my water parameters are fine and all other corals are thriving. I’ve had this coral for over a year in the same place of the tank so lighting is unlikely to be an issue.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
PS

71184C54-5286-4548-A13B-E26F7F5F111C.jpeg

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey. So I noticed my torch coral which has three heads was starting to recede, on all three heads. I noticed quite a few legs appearing out of the fleshy skeleton part so took the coral out and dipped it and 3 of these little guys came off. Picture isn’t great but in tank it had 6 red and white coloured striped legs. These didn’t move around tank and were lodged into coral. Any idea what they are and if they are likely to harm corals when they seem to have buried into their base?

All of my water parameters are fine and all other corals are thriving. I’ve had this coral for over a year in the same place of the tank so lighting is unlikely to be an issue.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
PS

71184C54-5286-4548-A13B-E26F7F5F111C.jpeg
It is a common micro brittle star. It is a good part of a cleanup crew. it is not causing your coral issue they are only eating the dying tissue.
+1 for mini brittle star.
From your photos that's not a sea spider. Google it, and check how they look like.
If you can get another photos can be great for ID.
Also take photos from your coral please and if can be under white light if you don't have filter lenses for camera.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back