ID white lump on tail fun along with fin recession.

Riotjj21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Ok. So have this orchid dottyback. Has this large white bump on tail and a few dorsal fins worn. Been over a month. They are not spreading on the fish or to my other fish. STILL eating a lot. Eats everything I put in there. I selcon the food before I throw it in. No way can I get him out of the tank. Fin Rot? Bacterial? Fungal? Couldn't find a reef safe treatment.

PXL_20210809_191404641.jpg PXL_20210809_191407142.jpg

Fritz

Jay Hemdal

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
No other dottybacks in the tank, right? No fish that could have injured it?

I'd say this could be an internal fungal infection we used to call Ichthyophonus. I think it has a "new" name now. I don't know of any cure for that, sorry.

Jay

OP
R

Riotjj21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
No other dottybacks in the tank, right? No fish that could have injured it?

I'd say this could be an internal fungal infection we used to call Ichthyophonus. I think it has a "new" name now. I don't know of any cure for that, sorry.

Jay
No other dottybacks. No one nipping at him, unless a cuc, bristle worms? His strange behavior is digging in the sand with his mouth. Like a goby.

Jay Hemdal

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
No other dottybacks. No one nipping at him, unless a cuc, bristle worms? His strange behavior is digging in the sand with his mouth. Like a goby.
I’m just not seeing how digging with its mouth would cause a tail lesion. I have seen dottybacks that bit bristleworms and ended up with spines stuck in their mouths…but that is different.
Jay

Avast
OP
R

Riotjj21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I’m just not seeing how digging with its mouth would cause a tail lesion. I have seen dottybacks that bit bristleworms and ended up with spines stuck in their mouths…but that is different.
Jay
I was thinking systemic infection, ingest microbe, circulate through blood, present on skin surface.

Jay Hemdal

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I was thinking systemic infection, ingest microbe, circulate through blood, present on skin surface.

Oh, I see - yes, that is how Ichthyophonus transfers from fish to fish, so that lines up.

Jay

Do you keep "Reef Safe with Caution" fish?

• YES (tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 295 62.0%
  • NO

Votes: 166 34.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 3.2%
SaltwaterAquarium.com