ID white lump on tail fun along with fin recession.

Riotjj21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So have this orchid dottyback. Has this large white bump on tail and a few dorsal fins worn. Been over a month. They are not spreading on the fish or to my other fish. STILL eating a lot. Eats everything I put in there. I selcon the food before I throw it in. No way can I get him out of the tank. Fin Rot? Bacterial? Fungal? Couldn't find a reef safe treatment.

PXL_20210809_191404641.jpg PXL_20210809_191407142.jpg

OP
OP
R

Riotjj21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other observation. He did a lot of sand rearrangement with his mouth for about five days before this began.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No other dottybacks in the tank, right? No fish that could have injured it?

I'd say this could be an internal fungal infection we used to call Ichthyophonus. I think it has a "new" name now. I don't know of any cure for that, sorry.

Jay

OP
OP
R

Riotjj21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No other dottybacks in the tank, right? No fish that could have injured it?

I'd say this could be an internal fungal infection we used to call Ichthyophonus. I think it has a "new" name now. I don't know of any cure for that, sorry.

Jay
No other dottybacks. No one nipping at him, unless a cuc, bristle worms? His strange behavior is digging in the sand with his mouth. Like a goby.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No other dottybacks. No one nipping at him, unless a cuc, bristle worms? His strange behavior is digging in the sand with his mouth. Like a goby.
I’m just not seeing how digging with its mouth would cause a tail lesion. I have seen dottybacks that bit bristleworms and ended up with spines stuck in their mouths…but that is different.
Jay

OP
OP
R

Riotjj21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just not seeing how digging with its mouth would cause a tail lesion. I have seen dottybacks that bit bristleworms and ended up with spines stuck in their mouths…but that is different.
Jay
I was thinking systemic infection, ingest microbe, circulate through blood, present on skin surface.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking systemic infection, ingest microbe, circulate through blood, present on skin surface.

Oh, I see - yes, that is how Ichthyophonus transfers from fish to fish, so that lines up.

Jay

Back