ID. ZOA or Paly? And how to "dip" or QT rock with colony.

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I picked this up at my LFS. It was in their orphanage tank (random stuff brought in by customers). He said these are "low grade zoas". Can anyone get me a more positive ID. Also, how to treat/dip rock with colony? Also, should I just QT and inspect? Dip the whole rock to be safe? I'm just being cautious because I lost a bunch of frags to pests my last go round. I'm thinking about just dipping the whole rock in Bayer soln. in case there are any zoa spiders. Would this be a bad idea?

20210621_170336.jpg

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
You might wanna give them back, those are your generic paly aka Texas trash. WHILE THEY POSE ALMOST NO HEALTH HAZZARD TO YOU those are the noxious variety. Once established they’re a complete pain in the butt to deal with and they are incredibly invasive. If you do want to keep them I’d suggest keeping the off and away from your rockwork. If you dip in bayer be sure to give it a vigorous rinse.

OP
OP
ClownWrangler

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might wanna give them back, those are your generic paly aka Texas trash. WHILE THEY POSE ALMOST NO HEALTH HAZZARD TO YOU those are the noxious variety. Once established they’re a complete pain in the butt to deal with and they are incredibly invasive. If you do want to keep them I’d suggest keeping the off and away from your rockwork. If you dip in bayer be sure to give it a vigorous rinse.

OK. Thanks. But I have actual "Texas trash" Palys and they are much bigger than these and more neon green. These are different. At any rate, the rock will likely end up in a tank with a few BTAs and no other corals or zoas.

Patman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. Thanks. But I have actual "Texas trash" Palys and they are much bigger than these and more neon green. These are different. At any rate, the rock will likely end up in a tank with a few BTAs and no other corals or zoas.
Yeah I know the Texas trash's as a more blue/teal paly, but these will behave almost exactly the same. People hate on them, but they are amazing for refugiums.

OP
OP
ClownWrangler

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I stand corrected. They started growing like crazy once I started feeding them in QT and are getting the longer "whiskers" or whatever they are. They are starting to look more like Texas Trash palys. I like them though, and the rock has some nice deep red coralline that I want to establish and seed my tank with. I will likely give the rock it's own 2.5g nano tank for a more permanent home.

20210706_151615.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back