ID

marktea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15fbde53cbd99fbb70d4aacb86d98bef.jpg

Right next to the closed head. It looks like it might be a feather duster? I've been trying to remove it but it retracts pretty good

OP
OP
M

marktea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy. Thank you, any tips on action or should I just look it up. Tried to remove with tweezers, maybe try harder? Or is there a specific dip I should preform?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptasia. Best bet is to get a syringe and inject it with lemon juice or hot water. You can try scraping it off but you risk missing some and having it grow back. Or cover it with superglue.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many ways and there have been heated discussions about it. I'm not a fan of injecting unless you have too. In your case, I would get a blade or scraper then while siphoning I'd scrape it off the glass into a bucket. Start the siphon, scrape then your done. Just my opinion though. Plenty of other options.

OP
OP
M

marktea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily it was located on a plastic square disc. I took it out grabbed a flat head and would be fairly surprised if it popped back up. Again thank you all

Jacobscorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not get hot water by those zoas.the palytoxin will rise up as steam and get you sick or dead.if you have one you may have more and try a true peppermint shrimp.mine inspects anything moved or added to my tank and gets rid of entire aiptasia and no spreading of tissue to make more

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not get hot water by those zoas.the palytoxin will rise up as steam and get you sick or dead.if you have one you may have more and try a true peppermint shrimp.mine inspects anything moved or added to my tank and gets rid of entire aiptasia and no spreading of tissue to make more
As long as the rock with palys aren't removed and boiled then I wouldn't worry about steam coming out of the tank from injecting a little hot water near the palys. For the record, I'm not a fan of injecting anything. To the OP, I would not advise getting any natural predators as of yet, just keep an eye out for others.

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definalty aptaisia. Like the statements above you can glue over it or use lemon juice. I've also had success with aptaisia X. I hate peppermint shrimps so I try and avoid those. They love to steal any food you spot feed to corals. Keep an eye out for more they do spread easy.

oceanfreak09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it’s on the glass. I would Turn off all flow and put a siphon tube right under him. Then I would use a razor blade or credit card and scrape him off the glass and let them get sucked out with the siphon. Be sure not to scrape well and not to leave any part of its foot on the glass. (Cause it will come back. And like others have said, keep an eye out for other ones. Good luck!!

OP
OP
M

marktea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dsc what makes you say hold of on predator?
@oceanfreak hey I'm not quite sure where your talking about? I inspected the glass I don't see any. Maybe it's the perspective from the picture?

Thank you everyone I really appreciate the quick replies and many different views on treatment. You guys are the best !

I think it should hopefully have been fairly isolated. I removed all

nfrench2100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is fairly new (6-7 weeks) I found my first aptaisia about 3-4 weeks ago. LFS suggested Joes Juice, and so I used it. One little squirt, enough to coat the aptaisia, and it was gone. No trace of it since. The next day I was staring at my tank and located 2 more. One squirt of Joes Juice and they were gone as well. No other traces of ANY aptaisia anywhere. That’s my suggestion. Good luck!

oceanfreak09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@oceanfreak hey I'm not quite sure where your talking about? I inspected the glass I don't see any. Maybe it's the perspective from the picture?

Thank you everyone I really appreciate the quick replies and many different views on treatment. You guys are the best !

Now that you said that, I took another look at the pic again and seen that the apTasia is indeed on a little piece of rock.(close to the glass)If you could remove the rock and chisel A chunk of where his foot is attached away he could be removed as well.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry for the late response @marktea. My reasoning for holding off on a natural predator was due to the amount of aptaisia you have. If it was getting troublesome I'd say go ahead with adding one. I tried the glue trick on the aptaisia and look what happened in this pic I posted. 3 more sprouted in it's place
20171021_120852.jpg

OP
OP
M

marktea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey DSC, I actually didn't see your response so no harm done lol. Nice I like that reasoning a lot, thank you for looking out :). I scraped off a total of three aptaisias on the drag disc about 20 days ago and haven't seen any pop up anywhere else. I've been lucky so far! Also spotted bubble algea growing on a frag and removed it over a month ago with no more in sight. God has been good.. So far lol

Edit: noted for the future, do not glue over them [emoji818]️

oceanfreak09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late response @marktea. My reasoning for holding off on a natural predator was due to the amount of aptaisia you have. If it was getting troublesome I'd say go ahead with adding one. I tried the glue trick on the aptaisia and look what happened in this pic I posted. 3 more sprouted in it's place
20171021_120852.jpg

The only good way in my opinion is take rock out and chisel off the rock so you don’t harm the apTasia. Then discard the apTasia and the Rock where it was attached to. Glueing seems to make it worse. For me it did. Check your overflow for them buggers as well.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big remove the rock for aptaisia guy. I've posted in a few threads the methods I've tried to help others avoid outbreaks and wanted to show what could happen with glue. I always like to let other reefers know the potential of disaster from injecting anything into an aptaisia. They are nasty for sure.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey DSC, I actually didn't see your response so no harm done lol. Nice I like that reasoning a lot, thank you for looking out :). I scraped off a total of three aptaisias on the drag disc about 20 days ago and haven't seen any pop up anywhere else. I've been lucky so far! Also spotted bubble algea growing on a frag and removed it over a month ago with no more in sight. God has been good.. So far lol

Edit: noted for the future, do not glue over them [emoji818]️
Sounds like you had a good plan. Aptaisia and bubble algae free is awesome.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back