OP
OP
ID-Reefer

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice. The Powder Blue is looking good!
Thanks. Yeah I don't know why I had to go with the two tangs that are seemingly most prone to Ich. Both have a few spots and Im doing Ich management. The Blue Hippo eats like a pig. The powder blue not so much but looks good so must be eating something. Neither eat nori when I put in the tank. I have very little algae to graze on. So I don't know what he is eating. All other fish are healthy and have no spots.

OP
OP
ID-Reefer

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Updates. How is the Reef going!
Things are ok.. but having some issues.

I went on vacation for 10 days and while gone I lost a couple Acros. Ive since lost a couple more including a chalice. No idea why. All water tests look good. The only exception to this is my Phosphate which has been consistently at zero for a while.

Ive also ran into a bit of a Bryopsis issue. Started out as one small patch and now I have several. Its not a huge issue but it is starting to crowd and cover some Blastos and some Zoas. The lettuce slug did eat it but couldn't keep up and never found other patches. Thus as of this morning I dosed Flux Rx to hopefully knock it out.

Its frustrating to lose some Acros when they did wonderful for months when the tank was new.. Seems odd that 6 months later Im having some issues. Thoughts?

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are ok.. but having some issues.

I went on vacation for 10 days and while gone I lost a couple Acros. Ive since lost a couple more including a chalice. No idea why. All water tests look good. The only exception to this is my Phosphate which has been consistently at zero for a while.

Ive also ran into a bit of a Bryopsis issue. Started out as one small patch and now I have several. Its not a huge issue but it is starting to crowd and cover some Blastos and some Zoas. The lettuce slug did eat it but couldn't keep up and never found other patches. Thus as of this morning I dosed Flux Rx to hopefully knock it out.

Its frustrating to lose some Acros when they did wonderful for months when the tank was new.. Seems odd that 6 months later Im having some issues. Thoughts?
IDK. I am having the same issue with my Reefer 250. Its 7 months old and was doing great. Now its going down hill a little bit. Working on the 900 I may have neglected it some and let the Alk drop. Trying to get that back up at the moment. I am not getting GHA but am getting a light colored slime that seems to be getting larger. Just stay on it. It will work out.

OP
OP
ID-Reefer

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update. As mentioned above I was battling bryopsis and dosed flux rx about 10 days ago. Fortunately it wiped out the bryopsis but unfortunately I did lose a few acros including my largest colony. I fragged it (green slimer) but frags died off too. Frustrating! Some acros showed signs of stress prior to the flux rx so I don’t think it was just that. I’m confused as to what’s going on as I also have a couple monti caps that aren’t doing very well after thriving for months. Perameters all stable and good. N03 and P04 also seem to be where I want them. So I’m going to have an ICP test done. Here are a couple photos of some of my sick coral and an end tank shot.
6525E532-BA7D-48CC-9861-285DDFA0EC17.jpeg
091AD5F2-9141-437E-95D2-4A6B949863F7.jpeg
7F9A3C67-AA78-4877-9324-35D216ADB71F.jpeg

OP
OP
ID-Reefer

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IPC test done ? I need to do one on my 250.
Yes, my ICP tests came back fine. Slightly low on iodine and that's it. I was a little surprised. Tests also showed my current tests (hanna, Apex etc.) are accurate. While glad my water appears to be very good, Im a bit frustrated as I still don't know what caused some of my SPS die off.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a few nights ago I had a couple beers more than I should have and ran across two big coral sales on FaceBook. Im a bit of a light weight. Long story short first of the shipments show up tomorrow and Im no longer allowed to shop for coral after drinking anything.
How did the coral shipment look?

OP
OP
ID-Reefer

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been a while since I’ve updated…. Things have been going well. Things have been very stable and other than a nice torch I haven’t lost any corals for quite a while.

I’ve added an emperor angel and a copper band. I’ve got a gem tang and a purple tang in order. So far I’ve been lucky with the emperor and he has not touched a coral.

I made the mistake of putting two bubble tips in my tank about 6 months ago and those two turned into about 30. I’ve spent hours trying to coax them off the rock and have managed to get about 10 or so out over the past couple months but they split faster than i could get them out so ended up spending several hours yesterday picking them out in pieces with tweezers. Not an easy task since several were on the back side of rock work. I’m running carbon for a while to hopefully limit any water issues.

I’ve taken my UV system off line. I had problems with one not staying on. I worried I’d see an ich outbreak but it’s been 2 months now and not a single spot on any fish including the emperor I added a month ago. I credit my feeding as it seems my fish have a strong immunity. I haven’t seen any signs of ichin my tank for over 6+ months.

System has been up for just over 11 months now. Seems like things are doing well and fingers crossed I don’t see any coral loss like I had a few months ago.

8248C1E7-CFDC-4945-A622-EC027DAC5821.png
C664A6E1-21CD-4764-BE09-C8C9EBDFFC11.jpeg
27C4BDE5-D537-4FDD-AFA4-3A59B5A93163.jpeg
EDE28E0E-B796-42DA-895E-3520C35B178B.jpeg

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its looking good. Glad the ich is gone. Good nutrition is everything. When I added my tangs the Purple tang got covered in ich. Took about 3-4 weeks but he shook it and it hasn't been back for months now.

All your coral is growing and filling out well.

OP
OP
ID-Reefer

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Finally was able to catch one of my cleaner shrimp releasing eggs tonight. I’ve seen eggs in the past but have yet to witness the release of the larvae. Happened quickly and unfortunately by the time I grabbed my phone the flow had dispersed the plume of babies. I turned off the pumps but they were no longer concentrated.

Sad that all will be fish food as it is my understanding they are very difficult to raise.

I guess eggs are typically carried for 14-20 days. Approx 1200! As it gets closer she will move them from her abdomen to her legs and they turn from a green to brownish color. Then a day or two before full moon (which is tomorrow) she will release - often when it is dark.

I managed to catch one and get under the microscope but I put a slide cover on it which I shouldn’t have because they are very delicate. It flattened it. So the most recognizable part was the tail. Anyway still fun to see.
1C0DA665-B979-4E97-9508-08C5F23505C0.jpeg
F811915F-928D-4A1C-82A9-490CA090720C.jpeg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back