Idaho Reef build - Break is over - Reefer 900

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I bought one of your 30 BTAs a few months ago, along with some mushrooms, zoas, and a little toadstool! The BTA is doing great, hasn’t split (thankfully). Your tank is gorgeous, the photos don’t do it justice!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3335.jpeg
Now I'm just as excited about the car!

OP
OP
ID-Reefer

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey, I bought one of your 30 BTAs a few months ago, along with some mushrooms, zoas, and a little toadstool! The BTA is doing great, hasn’t split (thankfully). Your tank is gorgeous, the photos don’t do it justice!
Thanks! Glad to hear the BTA and other stuff is doing well.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally was able to catch one of my cleaner shrimp releasing eggs tonight. I’ve seen eggs in the past but have yet to witness the release of the larvae. Happened quickly and unfortunately by the time I grabbed my phone the flow had dispersed the plume of babies. I turned off the pumps but they were no longer concentrated.

Sad that all will be fish food as it is my understanding they are very difficult to raise.

I guess eggs are typically carried for 14-20 days. Approx 1200! As it gets closer she will move them from her abdomen to her legs and they turn from a green to brownish color. Then a day or two before full moon (which is tomorrow) she will release - often when it is dark.

I managed to catch one and get under the microscope but I put a slide cover on it which I shouldn’t have because they are very delicate. It flattened it. So the most recognizable part was the tail. Anyway still fun to see.
1C0DA665-B979-4E97-9508-08C5F23505C0.jpeg
F811915F-928D-4A1C-82A9-490CA090720C.jpeg
That is really cool. I was thinking of buying a microscope.

OP
OP
ID-Reefer

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just over a year now. Things going well. Seeing better growth lately - think it’s mainly that the tank maturity is more conducive to coral growth.

Found a few aiptasia in my sump and overflow. Have seen none in the display. Assume that the copper band takes care of any that try to start. I had great luck with Berghias last time so may have to get a few more for my sump and overflow. I’ve also found a few starts of bubble algae (Valonia). I’ll have to add some emerald crabs I guess.

all fish are healthy. I’m going to re-home the emperor as he picks on an elegance coral I had to move to the frag tank. He has also nipped on a few zoanthids. Love the fish but not sure I want to deal with that.

anyway things are going great. Happy New Year.

F84E9DA8-73EE-47CE-92F0-8BF5BE97810A.jpeg

A0D0FDF0-1E40-421B-9238-65D6F8FB7D25.jpeg
0B55EC53-79C8-4E9C-9D76-CD70C17BA0E5.jpeg
77B0CBFA-30E4-4865-9F1E-BFC8FB9514AB.jpeg
2B60E2FE-9D70-431E-B4C4-5729F76CE382.jpeg
78FB7C45-8342-4C6D-906E-E8CBF67BC98D.jpeg
8A4C3D22-E93F-4F69-B70E-FBB498C6383E.jpeg
39F6B63E-BFD6-470F-B83B-3747FFE5CB66.jpeg

OP
OP
ID-Reefer

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Couple new end shots. Was able to catch and re-home the emperor. I miss his grunting and color but not his nipping on coral. I’ve added a long nose butterfly and a few others. Unfortunately I’ve been battling monti eating nudis. It’s a struggle but one I “think” I’m winning. Have had a couple Acros struggle lately while others have shown huge amounts of growth. Likewise I’ve had several torches doing great and splitting yet had one bail a week ago. Confused but part of the hobby I guess. I started dosing a very small amount of nopox which has really helped get my P04 and N03 to where I want (.05 and 11 respectively).

FD7C3DDF-BA8E-45C3-9BBE-5DECF1963C98.jpeg
5C6F1B26-87D4-4817-8877-FE79D58559FE.jpeg

Last edited:

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple new end shots. Was able to catch and re-home the emperor. I miss his grunting and color but not his nipping on coral. I’ve added a long nose butterfly and a few others. Unfortunately I’ve been battling monti eating nudis. It’s a struggle but one I “think” I’m winning. Have had a couple Acros struggle lately while others have shown huge amounts of growth. Likewise I’ve had several torches doing great and splitting yet had one bail a week ago. Confused but part of the hobby I guess. I started dosing a very small amount of nopox which has really helped get my P04 and N03 to where I want (.05 and 11 respectively).

FD7C3DDF-BA8E-45C3-9BBE-5DECF1963C98.jpeg
5C6F1B26-87D4-4817-8877-FE79D58559FE.jpeg

Your tank is really looking good! The hobby can be confusing, has been for me as well sometimes. My Gem Tang has tattered his fins like yours but they are growing back. If the rays on the fin broke I am not sure they heal completely. My 900 is mostly Fowlr and I just added an Emperor. Should of gotten yours. The butterfly looks good.

OP
OP
ID-Reefer

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your tank is really looking good! The hobby can be confusing, has been for me as well sometimes. My Gem Tang has tattered his fins like yours but they are growing back. If the rays on the fin broke I am not sure they heal completely. My 900 is mostly Fowlr and I just added an Emperor. Should of gotten yours. The butterfly looks good.
Thanks! Yeah I don't get why his dorsal fin has a small notch. No one picks on him that I ever see as he is one of the more dominant fish. He is very fat. No other fish have fin issues so hopefully it will heal eventually.

I miss the Emperor - just not his bad habits. I wish I could find a proven coral safe angel someone wanted to get rid of.

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks! Yeah I don't get why his dorsal fin has a small notch. No one picks on him that I ever see as he is one of the more dominant fish. He is very fat. No other fish have fin issues so hopefully it will heal eventually.

I miss the Emperor - just not his bad habits. I wish I could find a proven coral safe angel someone wanted to get rid of.
So did your emperor start nipping as an adult, juvenile, or a soon as you added it?

nice update on the build. can’t wait to see it in person.

OP
OP
ID-Reefer

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So did your emperor start nipping as an adult, juvenile, or a soon as you added it?

nice update on the build. can’t wait to see it in person.
He never transitioned while I had him - Im confident he was about ready to as I could see signs of the change in color. He was big too - Ive seen smaller emperors who had already transitioned. I think I probably had him for a few months before he started to be annoying. the only thing he really liked the taste of was elegance coral. Never touched any Euphyllia or any SPS. Eventually whenever Id add a new zoa frag to the tank he would take a taste. Some were high dollar frags with 2 or 3 heads and that was about what he would taste 2 or 3 heads. lol. So it just became to much and his beauty started to be outweighed my my love for coral and the money I spent on them.

Anyway as I mentioned in your build thread (that I finally found) lets get together sometime and take a peak at each others tanks.

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He never transitioned while I had him - Im confident he was about ready to as I could see signs of the change in color. He was big too - Ive seen smaller emperors who had already transitioned. I think I probably had him for a few months before he started to be annoying. the only thing he really liked the taste of was elegance coral. Never touched any Euphyllia or any SPS. Eventually whenever Id add a new zoa frag to the tank he would take a taste. Some were high dollar frags with 2 or 3 heads and that was about what he would taste 2 or 3 heads. lol. So it just became to much and his beauty started to be outweighed my my love for coral and the money I spent on them.

Anyway as I mentioned in your build thread (that I finally found) lets get together sometime and take a peak at each others tanks.
Sounds like a plan. Letting things settle down at home with the new addition to the family and then I’ll reach out.

OP
OP
ID-Reefer

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone else ever take out their overflow pipe to clean? Its been about 15 months so I figured Id take it out to clean. Before doing so I put in my display for an hour or so and let my wrasses and butterflies have a snack. Lots of tube worms and a few Aiptasia. Fortunately I never see any Aiptasia in my display thanks to my Copper Band.

IMG_6199.jpeg
IMG_6200.jpeg

OP
OP
ID-Reefer

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just a quick update. Installed the Red Sea Reefmat 1200 a couple days ago. Soooo happy to not have to deal with socks anymore. So far this thing is working fantastic. Seems well made, well thought out and changing out the roll isn't much more difficult than changing out 4 socks used to be... difference is a roll will likely last 6 weeks or so where I had to change out socks every two days.

Everything else is going great. Waiting on a fish order from Dr. Reef... hopefully next week that shows up.

IMG_7448.jpeg
IMG_7449.jpeg

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just a quick update. Installed the Red Sea Reefmat 1200 a couple days ago. Soooo happy to not have to deal with socks anymore. So far this thing is working fantastic. Seems well made, well thought out and changing out the roll isn't much more difficult than changing out 4 socks used to be... difference is a roll will likely last 6 weeks or so where I had to change out socks every two days.

Everything else is going great. Waiting on a fish order from Dr. Reef... hopefully next week that shows up.

IMG_7448.jpeg
IMG_7449.jpeg
Looking good. I need to get one of those reef mats.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its looking good. I want a Roller mat but on my FOWLR I think it would blow through paper. Currently changing 4 sock 2 times a week.

My Ich outbreak seems to be over for a few months now. I think I will add some fish this weekend as well.

OP
OP
ID-Reefer

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Made it to the 18 month mark. Things have seemed to get more and more stable as the tank gets older but lately my Phosphates shot up to .2 which has me concerned. Ive increased my dosage of no pox to try t bring them down. My nitrates are holding around 10 so I don't want to lower that much. No idea where the phosphates came from... Ive been feeding the same. I did add the reef mat and added some ceramic biomedia but I don't think either of those would cause a P04 increase. Any thoughts out there? Coral all seems happy so not going to panic yet.

Its difficult to get a full tank shot of this thing so I am posting a video this time... glare and all.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made it to the 18 month mark. Things have seemed to get more and more stable as the tank gets older but lately my Phosphates shot up to .2 which has me concerned. Ive increased my dosage of no pox to try t bring them down. My nitrates are holding around 10 so I don't want to lower that much. No idea where the phosphates came from... Ive been feeding the same. I did add the reef mat and added some ceramic biomedia but I don't think either of those would cause a P04 increase. Any thoughts out there? Coral all seems happy so not going to panic yet.

Its difficult to get a full tank shot of this thing so I am posting a video this time... glare and all.

Your tank is looking really good. How has the Roller Mat worked out. I guess I am going to break down and order one. It must be good because they are on aback order everywhere. Back in stock soon hopefully.

OP
OP
ID-Reefer

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your tank is looking really good. How has the Roller Mat worked out. I guess I am going to break down and order one. It must be good because they are on aback order everywhere. Back in stock soon hopefully.
Love the Roller mat. Just changed out my second roll yesterday. Would definitely recommend!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back