Idea for Aquarium

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an idea which I hope I can pull it off and I've already said I might do freshwater most likely because of cost but I have an idea that could be cheap and cost effective. I'm going to be doing a reef tank or a Fish only with live rock tank. My idea is a canister filter with no biological filter media, cobalt heater, protein skimmer, wave maker, live sand, no sump, LED lights, hydrometer, small RODI system, a 60 gallon tank, and two buckets for water. Also some test kits and sea salt. I'm ordering from chewy.com to save money and I think I can do this and not spend like 2,000 dollars. My fish stock hasn't been decided but I'll update you guys. Sorry if this is hard to understand my head really hurts :(

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will work. Be sure to do a lot of water changes to keep your nitrate and phosphate numbers down

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 to 15% weekly is fine or 30% in a month is close to standard.

Can be done with what your listed. Take your time getting your tank and equipment. It took me a year to build my current system. Spread out the cost that way.

One thing you will need at some point is a ATO. also go with a refractometer instead of a hydrometer, more accurate.

I would suggest a heater controller, such as the Inkbird itc 308. It's a insurance policy against a heater failure.

OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on equipment

I'm getting a pennplax canister filter with some small fluval fine filter polishing pads which are just foam pads and some fluval carbon media.

I'm getting an instant ocean protein skimmer also some instant ocean sea salt and the instant ocean hydrometer.

I'm getting a lot of live rock and live sand.

A cobalt heater

A five stage R.O system 50 gallon.

Nitrifying bacteria

A syphon

One powerhead

And LED light.

I'm getting a 60 gallon aquarium which is meant for freshwater but says saltwater safe. I'm going to do a fish only with live rock aquarium and I think I can do this! I'm still a little nervous but not a lot.

Last edited:

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine but I'd recommend some type of bio filter instead of skimmer, I ran a 60 gal w sump and no skimmer w live rocks that came direct from the ocean and DSB and had no issues. Can place seachem matrix or marinepure bioballs inside the canister for bio filtering.

OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 to 15% weekly is fine or 30% in a month is close to standard.

Can be done with what your listed. Take your time getting your tank and equipment. It took me a year to build my current system. Spread out the cost that way.

One thing you will need at some point is a ATO. also go with a refractometer instead of a hydrometer, more accurate.

I would suggest a heater controller, such as the Inkbird itc 308. It's a insurance policy against a heater failure.

My plan is get the tank and equipment than do upgrades in the future. I might do a wet dry filter sump with a protein skimmer and a return pump. There's a way to prevent nitrate build it's called cleaning your filter media. Rinsing 1/4 of the bioballs off in saltwater and than put them back. If you test for high ammonia wait a little while before cleaning the rest of the bioballs.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an idea which I hope I can pull it off and I've already said I might do freshwater most likely because of cost but I have an idea that could be cheap and cost effective. I'm going to be doing a reef tank or a Fish only with live rock tank. My idea is a canister filter with no biological filter media, cobalt heater, protein skimmer, wave maker, live sand, no sump, LED lights, hydrometer, small RODI system, a 60 gallon tank, and two buckets for water. Also some test kits and sea salt. I'm ordering from chewy.com to save money and I think I can do this and not spend like 2,000 dollars. My fish stock hasn't been decided but I'll update you guys. Sorry if this is hard to understand my head really hurts :(

Canister filters are the least noob friendly method for saltwater tanks as they often trap gunk in difficult to clean places and are known for becoming nitrate factories in marine tanks. I'm not saying it can't be done, I am just saying there are many folks who were experienced freshwater folks with canister filters who end up tearing their hair out trying to solve their nitrate problems with them. HOB is actually fine if you go with a 110 HOB filter (ie Seachem Tidal or Fluval).

OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canister filters are the least noob friendly method for saltwater tanks as they often trap gunk in difficult to clean places and are known for becoming nitrate factories in marine tanks. I'm not saying it can't be done, I am just saying there are many folks who were experienced freshwater folks with canister filters who end up tearing their hair out trying to solve their nitrate problems with them. HOB is actually fine if you go with a 110 HOB filter (ie Seachem Tidal or Fluval).

I'm thinking of doing a wet dry filter and just cleaning out the bio balls every 4 months or less

OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm getting a 60 or 75 gallon tank which will be saltwater. I don't know if HOB filters works. Also the nitrate problem is because bioballs can collect debris and what you have to do is a whole process but long story short just rinse the bioballs with saltwater. I've mentioned this on the thread. Also I'm not doing a sump for my 60 or 75 gallon tank because of cost reasons. I might just do a refuguim with no sump but I don't know yet.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back