Idea to kill Turf Algae… would it work?

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had thick tough as nails turf algae I’ve been battling for some time. I’ve tried many things to fight it. Peroxide (works in spots, but can’t get it all), tuxedo urchins (manually removed areas hoping it would come clean up the bits left behind, they don’t touch it), foxface fish has no interest in it. Tried a 4x dose of fluconazole. Don’t affect it at all. The main problem rock is unfortunately my biggest rock at the base of my scape. So not easy to “just pull out the rock and kill it”.

I did have an idea though. What if I blackout JUST that rock with some black plastic? I’m thinking I could cut a piece of black plastic sheeting and cover the algae for a couple weeks. Is this a crazy idea? Anyone done something like this before? I know people black out their entire tank with plastic wrap to kill algae, but an individual rock? My only main concern would be the plastic I use not leeching anything harmful into the water.

My only other option at this point seems to be a massive rescape involving pulling all the rocks out and removing the affected rocks.

1B46A93E-E62E-45F0-98B0-71C6F8C68943.jpeg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had thick tough as nails turf algae I’ve been battling for some time. I’ve tried many things to fight it. Peroxide (works in spots, but can’t get it all), tuxedo urchins (manually removed areas hoping it would come clean up the bits left behind, they don’t touch it), foxface fish has no interest in it. Tried a 4x dose of fluconazole. Don’t affect it at all. The main problem rock is unfortunately my biggest rock at the base of my scape. So not easy to “just pull out the rock and kill it”.

I did have an idea though. What if I blackout JUST that rock with some black plastic? I’m thinking I could cut a piece of black plastic sheeting and cover the algae for a couple weeks. Is this a crazy idea? Anyone done something like this before? I know people black out their entire tank with plastic wrap to kill algae, but an individual rock? My only main concern would be the plastic I use not leeching anything harmful into the water.

My only other option at this point seems to be a massive rescape involving pulling all the rocks out and removing the affected rocks.

1B46A93E-E62E-45F0-98B0-71C6F8C68943.jpeg
Sounds like a reasonable thing to do. If you could also make the blackout curtain somehow lie snug against the rock, you could rain an armageddon of chemicals on the algae too :)

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its a great idea. And when you remove it, chances are the dying algae will attract the urchins. I had hermit crabs that would eat dying algae but not living stuff.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blacked out my tank for 30 plus days. Not all algae gone. Weird. Did however get this whitish/grayish algae under rocks that resembles what grows inside HVACs. Went away once lights back on.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
957452D7-0848-4F08-B1F4-6B4F7974947F.jpeg

Here’s the algae I’m referring to. This was growing inside my HOB. Trapped now by my rocks and trying to confirm lights will get rid of it too. Been keeping fish since the 70s. Salt since the 80s. Never seen anything like it but might show up during blackout period. Obviously doesn’t need light to grow. Not all algae do.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have let my algae grow thinking to feed my pin cushion but it has got out of control also.
I read a while ago about target blasting with boiling water, (I don't use hydrogen peroxide in my aquriam)
So I'm yet to try
It does seem a good idea using something to cover problem areas but I agree with you and problems from using a 'plastic'
You have definitely suggested a good idea :)
Maybe something ceramic like a small dish or plate (I'm sure ceramic is reef safe) so it basically blocks light out in that area.
It would be great to hear others methods

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@GARRIGA I'm unsure about your growth but great pics
at a guess that hair algea will turn white when dead or dying due to lack of light, so essentially leaving fibres/ hair strands of dead algae, so I assume we will still need to remove these manually

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For long GHA nothing beats a sea hare! But for the short wirey stuff I’ve found urchins to be especially effective.

One tip I picked up from Mark Levinson, which seems obvious when you say it, but don’t just let them roam around on their own. When you walk by the tank if they’re on the front glass pluck them off and place them on the patch of algae you want cleaned up. It works!

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@GARRIGA I'm unsure about your growth but great pics
at a guess that hair algea will turn white when dead or dying due to lack of light, so essentially leaving fibres/ hair strands of dead algae, so I assume we will still need to remove these manually
That's not GHA. That something that grows in dark places.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glued some black plastic over a big patch this morning we’ll see how it looks in 2-3 weeks.
E4814CD6-3F2A-41CA-8FD5-26EBE7BACB6D.jpeg
I tell you what, that looks great, I have some of that weed killer/ material in my garage, never thought about it hence ceramic pots lol

OP
OP
anthonymckay

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: it’s been covered by black plastic for the past 6 weeks. I removed it today… and I’m convinced this turf algae could survive anything.

Experiment failed!

Second photo is white lights only to get a better shot of it.
A7E9D06E-2315-4E00-86AE-775A4848B820.jpeg

51562F75-759B-4721-852B-60A89BDDAFB3.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back