Ideas and Suggestions for 40G Stocklist.

Staxciii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

So I've been researching and trying to figure out what other fish will be going in my CVue 40G. I currently have a Darwin Clown Pair and a YWG & Tiger Pistol in my 16G that will be moving over eventually.

I want 2-3 more fish but I know with the size of the tank and current fish, my options are somewhat limited. I definitely would like a Wrasse or 2 but am unsure of the best species for this size tank. Also would love to add a Yasha Goby or Randall's Goby but am unsure of Mixing with an established Watchman & Pistol pair.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated! Also, this will be a Reef tank with LPS and Softies so Reef safe is a must.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a good selection of appropriate fish for that size tank:

parvicrazy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse - sixline wrasses are cool. Eat shrimp though.

Other - big fan of cardinalfish and firefish. Also royal grammas and chromis.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can name a few that would work in a 40g community reef.
Yellow Coris wrasse, Mccosker flasher wrasse, harptail Blenny, canary blenny, biota blue mandarin (paired with a mandarin feeder if your able to feed them 4-10 times a day haha seriously tho they nibble and nip all day. If your home most of the day it’s doable. I had a pair of fatties for 2 years with no pods)
Falco hawk fish, melanurus wrasse, tomini tang, kole tang, chevron tang,(not all these fish can be added to your tank together, to some of us that’s an obvious no brainer but everyone’s knowledge level is different. Nothing wrong with starting out and not knowing but you did the good pet owner thing by asking for answers)
I wouldn’t mix sand sifting gobys if you have some already but I’ve read from others that there is a chance they stay on opposite sides of the tank, too risky for me and my tank is 4foot wide (hard to catch fish too)
Tail spot blennys are fun to watch and harlequin shrimp are fun to feed.
Good luck reefer! hope this info serves you well.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some ideas….

Wrasse: Pink streak, Pygmy, Canary wrasse, Lubbocks, McCosker, Carpenter

Royal Gramma

Yellowhead Jawfish

Springer Damsel

Pygmy dwarf angel

Tailspot Blenny

OP
OP
S

Staxciii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid suggestions everyone! Thanks for the input.

So what I'm thinking now is;

Darwin Clownfish Pair
Yellow Watchman
Yellow Coris Wrasse
McCoskers Wrasse
Midas Blenny?

6 might be pushing it but I will be running a Protein Skimmer and Algae Scrubber so eventually I think it would be able to handle the bioload. Obviously, ill be adding them slowly.

My next question is, what's the best order to add them? The clowns and Watchman/pistol shrimp would either have to be last or first as catching them would involve taking out everything in the tank they are currently in.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid suggestions everyone! Thanks for the input.

So what I'm thinking now is;

Darwin Clownfish Pair
Yellow Watchman
Yellow Coris Wrasse
McCoskers Wrasse
Midas Blenny?

6 might be pushing it but I will be running a Protein Skimmer and Algae Scrubber so eventually I think it would be able to handle the bioload. Obviously, ill be adding them slowly.

My next question is, what's the best order to add them? The clowns and Watchman/pistol shrimp would either have to be last or first as catching them would involve taking out everything in the tank they are currently in.
For those fish I would just recommend you add the mccosker before the choris. The others should be fine to add at random they are all very good community fish

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes clown fish can get nippy so they would be a good addition towards the end. Most of the time, young clowns get along and do their own thing.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had tried a few Midas blennies in the past and they were all nippy little jerks lol I know I am not the only one after googling "midas blenny aggressive"

Something to watch for. I think they can just be territorial and hungry (they are planktivors).

OP
OP
S

Staxciii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes clown fish can get nippy so they would be a good addition towards the end. Most of the time, young clowns get along and do their own thing.
My clowns are cold-blooded killers lol. They bullied a Clown Goby to death and tried to do the same to my Watchman but he's twice their size and now has a Pistol so they've left him alone... definitely thinking they will be last. Thanks for the advice!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 61.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 84 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 42 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 65 27.2%
Back