Ideas for covering end of hose when cleaning

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to clean my sump out and inside I have a bunch of small snails and other things. I wanted to see what people have used at the end of their siphon hose to suck all the stuff out and leaves the snails alone and keeps them from getting sucked up. Thanks for any ideas

Aboynamedsous2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to clean my sump out and inside I have a bunch of small snails and other things. I wanted to see what people have used at the end of their siphon hose to suck all the stuff out and leaves the snails alone and keeps them from getting sucked up. Thanks for any ideas
My system is to small for a sump so I’ve never done this before but what if you attached a piece of mesh or cheese cloth with a rubber band at the end.

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pump my sump out with a small sicce pump. Just before and during draining I scrub the sump insides down with a plastic toilet brush I have dedicated to aquarium cleaning.

the grill on the sicce pump would keep any critters out of it, except something really tiny like pods that is.

OP
OP
ScottyD36

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system is to small for a sump so I’ve never done this before but what if you attached a piece of mesh or cheese cloth with a rubber band at the end.
I was thinking about doing this. I have to use some trial and error to see what finally works for me. Thanks for the idea

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about a pair of nylons, that you could cut up, and put over the end? cheap, and can use as needed, since the opening of the hose is small....?

mjszos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 49 84.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back