Ideas for Macroalgae in Mediterranean tank?

tedo_4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I have a Mediterranean tank that's been neglected for some time and I want to change that. One of my revamp ideas is adding some Macroalgae but since I've never dwelt on saltwater macros I need some ideas for what type I should use. I mostly need it to be ornamental and since the aquarium already hosts a few fish and invertebrates I preferably need species that won't get eaten up immediately (or at least they will grow fast enough to sustain an occasional chomp). Anyways, most aquarium stores around me don't really sell any other macro besides Chaetomorpha so I am also open to suggestions of ones I can get directly from the sea (that being the Aegean sea or even the Black sea for a species that has high salinity plasticity). Thanks a lot!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago, I managed a Mediterranean/East Atlantic exhibit at a public aquarium. We received a shipment that had some Codium fragile in it. It did pretty well as I recall....and this was back in the day when we didn't really know anything about aquarium lighting.

I tried growing Zostera marina (eelgrass) but it died after a short time.

Of course, now that Caulerpa taxifolia has invaded there, you could just use that (ugh!).

Jay

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back