Ideas for quarantining Aptasia infected live rock

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several pieces of quality aged fiji live rock that I've had in my reef for a long time and are important to me because they are full of real ocean micro life. However, theses non coral occupied sections of rock are infested with Aptasia. (The Aptasia killed off some of my prized Torches, Frogspawns and Hammers. There are no coral on the aptasia rock.

So I want to quarantine the rocks in buckets and Nuke the aptasia over a period of time.

For example I have heard of people curing aptasia infested rock in buckets of super high salinity levels? Would this be effective?

I imagine I dont need to erradicate them 100%, but if I can smother them out somehow in quarantine, perhaps I can reintroduce the rock back into my reef and pepermint shrimp and file fish could perform the rest.

I have a healthy well established reef (Soft & LPS ...GSP Corals, Zoas..Leathers...) and these little jerks are on the war path in my reef.

Otherwise my fish and corals are thriving.

Any ideas you guys have I would greatly appreciate.

WaveRider

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full disclosure: Half Satiricle post to follow.

Buy a 25 gallon at Petco. Aquaclear hob, power head and a hand full of peppermint shrimp. Enjoy your new peppermint shrimp habitat.

Any reason to start a new build, no matter how low brow.

Do it. By the time it's cleared of aptaisia you will be worried about how to get the phosphates out of your rocks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
waverider

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then, I may as well just introduce a large # of peppermint shrimp into my existing 90 gallon system? So you are saying Peppermint shrimp are !Effective ? I'd rather not break down the rock from my reef. Its the Aptasia I want erradicated.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people swear by them. Others say they are worthless in the fight.

I swear by them. But in a 90, there are also aptaisia eating fish that can be introduced to the system. Aptaisia eating file fish for instance. A young copper banded butterfly, though he will out grow your system eventually.

But yes there are natural means to battling aptaisia without breaking down your tank or moving rock. You may never completely erradicat it. But you can certainly control it to the point it isn't noticed. But then again, you could completely win the war with a few shrimp and a fish.

Last edited:

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Then, I may as well just introduce a large # of peppermint shrimp into my existing 90 gallon system? So you are saying Peppermint shrimp are !Effective ? I'd rather not break down the rock from my reef. Its the Aptasia I want erradicated.
Needs to be the true peppermint shrimp (lysmata boggessi).
The impersonators will eat anything (including coral), except aiptasia.
shrimp.png

(A) Lysmata wurdemanni
(B) Lysmata rathbunae
(C) Lysmata ankeri
(D) Lysmata boggessi
(E) Lysmata pederseni
(F) Lysmata bahia

dnprall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the rock in a large container, then add 5 gallons of bleach. Wait 7 days and all your aptasia will be gone.

Anything besides drying and killing everything will result in the aptasia coming back.

Half measures are just wasting time.

cpoynter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a four eye butterfly fish that eradicated every visible aiptasia in a past aquarium. I gave it to the LFS because I wanted coral and the aiptasia came back. You can’t completely eradicate it naturally. There will always be one or more left in a crevice, plumbing, overflow, etc.

Back