Ideas/Help to fight some diatoms

Nemoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newly setup tank but used cycled dry rock. It's been cycled for 3 week now. Starting to see diatoms. I am trying to get through this without any chemicals or additives. So my only way is to starve them of silicate. But I am noticing that my Nitrate is also bottoming out[around 2PPM]. I do not have a phosphate checker yet. I will get it this weekend.

Here is what I tried so far.
Added a refugium with Chaeto. It's growing ok but the chamber walls are filled with diatom. Chaeto is doing ok. Added copepods and I also dose phyto. Pods are thriving. I have 2 Turbo snails Cerith and Nassariud and they do cleanup but not enough. No fish but I am feeding heavy to keep nitrates up. I tried the lights out method for 2 days but it is dropping PH to 7.8 during the day and I also realized that this will just prolong the algae since it is not using up any silicate. Is there any other ideas? Any other methods to lower silicate? I am assuming water change is not an option since the Nitrate is really low. Skimmer is off. Removed socks too. Other concern is Dino if Nitrate goes to 0

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms will be one of the first things to grow. In a week or 2 they will be gone and green things will start to grow. I would not do anthing. Its all part of the cycle of a living tank. Just keep feeding your critters.

OP
OP
N

Nemoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms will be one of the first things to grow. In a week or 2 they will be gone and green things will start to grow. I would not do anthing. Its all part of the cycle of a living tank. Just keep feeding your critters.
My concern is that if I bottom out Nitrates, it might lead to Cyano or Dino? What can I do to prevent that?

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically Dinos are from 0 Nitrate and 0 Phosphate

Diatoms are in all new tanks that use dry rock. Just wait it out, nothing to do and a good sign of a maturing tank. That being said, make sure you are using 0 TDS top off water and 0 TDS water for water changes. If not that can introduce more silicates and prolong the Diatoms

OP
OP
N

Nemoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically Dinos are from 0 Nitrate and 0 Phosphate

Diatoms are in all new tanks that use dry rock. Just wait it out, nothing to do and a good sign of a maturing tank. That being said, make sure you are using 0 TDS top off water and 0 TDS water for water changes. If not that can introduce more silicates and prolong the Diatoms
Yes I am using RODI water and Neomarine salt which is not supposed to have any silicate in it.
Dino is my worry as I am unable to keep Nitrate up.
Also I was just curious. If I do not do water change and the Diatoms use up all the silicate, how do I export that? Won't that silicate stay in the system and cause issues later on?

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am using RODI water and Neomarine salt which is not supposed to have any silicate in it.
Dino is my worry as I am unable to keep Nitrate up.
Also I was just curious. If I do not do water change and the Diatoms use up all the silicate, how do I export that? Won't that silicate stay in the system and cause issues later on?
Nope, the diatoms consume the silicate. That's how they grow :)

Once the diatoms use up all the silicate in the tank they will have nothing else to eat and they die out. So it really does solve itself

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%

Back