Ideas on a focal point fish for a 50g

Yamaha1634

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to start setting up a 50g display tank as an upgrade for my Fluval Evo 13.5g.

Tank will be mixed reef, mainly LPS plus some SPS higher up on the rock. I will be moving over and adding to my current fish stock.

Tank will be 90x45x45cm or 36x18x18 inches

Stock will be

Pair of perc clowns
Trio of pajama cardinals
Small blenny such as a tailspot
cleaner shrimp

I then need ideas on a focal point fish. I'd love a yellow tang but being fairly new to the hobby i wouldn't trust myself with such an expensive fish!

Anyone give me some ideas on a reef safe fish, happy in a 50g that will really stand out?

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some sort of fairy wrasse would be a good addition. You could also try a flame hawkfish, but be warned that there is always a slight risk of it going after your shrimp and blenny. The fish that I would add if it were my own tank is a sunburst anthias, but keep in mind that they do need feeding 2/3 times a day.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked at Leopard Wrasses? If you get a pair of young ones, as they grow one will make the switch to male. IMHO, they are a wonderful addition to a reef tank.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh. They are a little iffy in regards to reef safety. A poll on a different forum found that 8/44 flame angels ate coral, but you should probably expect more like a 50% chance of reef safety in the long run. Providing strong random flow, feeding a high quality sponge diet 3 times a day, and not keeping it with your 2,000$ Acanthophyllia should reduce the risk of tragedy. If you go for a flame angel, always have a fish trap lying around in case it gets hungry and a plan for if it isn't reef safe. Most LFSs will take in a fish, but don't expect a refund. I hope that this helps!

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If doing a blenny, I would avoid from the genus Ecsenius as they're about 50/50 snacking on corals you like. I would recommend a Midas blenny. They have a lovely russet/amber yellow tone with red blush and are very inquisitive, poking in and out of rockwork, and they get along well with others and are good eaters. I would also second some kind of hawkfish, but be aware that many have large mouths and may eat smaller livestock or inverts. Sometimes they play nice, but it's a dice roll.

LeBon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 50 my main fish is a boxfish, he was with
2 clowns, starry blenny and bta's.
Recently added a yellow tail damsel for the colour contrast.

your list is quite static, perhaps something that swims the entire tank, the little damsel might be ideal

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 53 29.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 64 36.0%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 31 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 52 29.2%
Back