Ideas on homemade frozen fish/coral food??

Genetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A long time ago I had made my own blend of frozen food for fish/coral feeding. Really got the fish in a frenzy. Problem is I don’t remember what I used to make it.

However a few ingredients that came to mind were;

Salmon
Shrimp
Scallops
Ascorbic Acid
RO water to make it more of a paste. And then made into frozen flat sheets to make easy to break off. Guess ice cube tray works too.

Is there anything else I’m missing? I would like it to cover feeding of euphyllia, duncans, Scolymias, anemones, and Goniopora.

2541AC12-0ED3-48DF-B9F0-13B52A5EC874.jpeg

Pic of current project.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just made a batch and put in clams, mussels, scallops, shrimp, and salmon. I'm thinking strictly about the fish. I haven't tried but I think canned sardines in water is another good choice.

How does Ro water make it a paste? There is plenty of frozen moisture from the food. I remember people using agar agar as a binding agent. I imagine xamthum gum would work after you thaw it to create a paste. I would use very little..........like the amount from a test kit spoon.

I use a food processor and just hit with pulse 3-5 times so I don't turn it into fine mush. when I thaw mine you can tell the natural oils keep the food pliable and binding naturally. I contains a lot less moisture than commercial flash frozen foods.

Are you going to target feed the LPS?

A bit off topic here but I have seen goni mouths take in larger chunks of food. I think people have it backwards in that they try to feed with a mist of very fine particles and the gonis just retract. Target feeding like you would do with acans would work better.

Is the absorbic acid for vitamin C?

OP
OP
Genetics

Genetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just made a batch and put in clams, mussels, scallops, shrimp, and salmon. I'm thinking strictly about the fish. I haven't tried but I think canned sardines in water is another good choice.

How does Ro water make it a paste? There is plenty of frozen moisture from the food. I remember people using agar agar as a binding agent. I imagine xamthum gum would work after you thaw it to create a paste. I would use very little..........like the amount from a test kit spoon.

I use a food processor and just hit with pulse 3-5 times so I don't turn it into fine mush. when I thaw mine you can tell the natural oils keep the food pliable and binding naturally. I contains a lot less moisture than commercial flash frozen foods.

Are you going to target feed the LPS?

A bit off topic here but I have seen goni mouths take in larger chunks of food. I think people have it backwards in that they try to feed with a mist of very fine particles and the gonis just retract. Target feeding like you would do with acans would work better.

Is the absorbic acid for vitamin C?
Clam is a good one! Garlic also comes to mind but IDK if fish even like it.

Last time I blended everything it got too thick and I had to find a way to thin it out. It wasn’t too much RO water but I do remember adding some. Edit: I used the RO to dissolve the ascorbic and garlic to make it even across the mix.

The ascorbic acid was just a little extra nutrients for everyone and I believe I added it to offset any nitrate rise that would happen.

As for target feeding… no plans on it. Just turn my return pump off and let everything circle around until it finds a mouth.

This being much smaller of an aquarium I need relatively small chunks. Definitely finer material but the goni should be fine.

Did you make yours into a sheet of ice cube tray?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clam is a good one! Garlic also comes to mind but IDK if fish even like it.

Last time I blended everything it got too thick and I had to find a way to thin it out. It wasn’t too much RO water but I do remember adding some. Edit: I used the RO to dissolve the ascorbic and garlic to make it even across the mix.

The ascorbic acid was just a little extra nutrients for everyone and I believe I added it to offset any nitrate rise that would happen.

As for target feeding… no plans on it. Just turn my return pump off and let everything circle around until it finds a mouth.

This being much smaller of an aquarium I need relatively small chunks. Definitely finer material but the goni should be fine.

Did you make yours into a sheet of ice cube tray?
Yes they absolutely do. There’s some debate at whether or not it’s good for them long term but it’s often sold as a food enticer plus extra calories can’t hurt. Squid and any other raw fish comes to mind…I recommend you add coral aminos or polyp boosters etc. to the food as well. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/garlic-power-concentrated-garlic-supplement-brightwell-aquatics.html?dfw_tracker=43788-209335&utm_term=&utm_campaign=EL+|+ACQ_Prospecting_SmartShopping+|+ROAS+|+Fish+&+Coral+Food&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=7373341438&hsa_cam=18332562141&hsa_grp=&hsa_ad=&hsa_src=x&hsa_tgt=&hsa_kw=&hsa_mt=&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gclid=CjwKCAiA5Y6eBhAbEiwA_2ZWIQXA4RwMsHT7d0PuJRhiKYrqSvyj7r2iZTBbXAMbe7_4t61KMKtTahoC9IIQAvD_BwE

Last edited:

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As an aside, coral foods and amino acid commercial products don't contain anything this homemade brew doesn't already have.
I don't get the point of blending in commercial marine food products as it just raises the cost of making a home blend with no extra benefit.

It cost me under $10 for what is approx. 32 ounces of food

I do buy and use PE mysis, and/ or Hikari mysis, Ocean Plankton which I feed on separate days.

I guess it could be mixed in but on the days I feed the above, I want it to be specifically the food for the day.

OP
OP
Genetics

Genetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AydenLincoln Thanks for the ideas. There isn’t much reason to add a lot of hyped supplements. I’m sure they may help but cheap food should work just fine.

@Big E Pretty much agree with you here. So many expenses in this hobby that making food is a great way to cut costs.

Grill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aldi sells a seafood mix that is all raw. (squid, mussel, shrimp and scallops) If I remember its like $7-$8 Aldi seafood mix I also add PE Pellets and marine flakes. While making a years supply sounds good stick with a smaller batch and use decent bags. (not CVS or Walgreens) A two or three month batch is ideal to limit freezer burn.

Aldi Mix (1).png

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back