Ideas to Make Starfish Tank More Natural

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's how the tank currently looks. I'm using it for an observational study of multiple starfish species of the Fromia genus and want it to be as natural as possible so was wondering if anyone had any creative ideas. I was thinking about some macroalgae in a corner covering part of the sandbed as well as some rubble substrate on the bottom in one spot instead of only a sandbed. There are currently 3 stars in there but there will soon be 2 or 3 more. Any other ideas? Btw, if you want to see some of the starfish just lmk and I can link my other thread following the study. IMG_20220821_144839.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So here's how the tank currently looks. I'm using it for an observational study of multiple starfish species of the Fromia genus and want it to be as natural as possible so was wondering if anyone had any creative ideas. I was thinking about some macroalgae in a corner covering part of the sandbed as well as some rubble substrate on the bottom in one spot instead of only a sandbed. There are currently 3 stars in there but there will soon be 2 or 3 more. Any other ideas? Btw, if you want to see some of the starfish just lmk and I can link my other thread following the study. IMG_20220821_144839.jpg
Hard to recommend a natural setting for a star as in the wild, they are constantly on the move

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to recommend a natural setting for a star as in the wild, they are constantly on the move
Yeah, I know it's a challenge but for the observations I want it to be as natural as possible so their behavior is as close to natural as I could hope for.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thinking about adding some of this macroalgae to a corner of the tank and was told @WheatToast might be able to tell me if it would likely survive/thrive or die off... Screenshot_2022-08-22-14-52-32-679_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thinking about adding some of this macroalgae to a corner of the tank and was told @WheatToast might be able to tell me if it would likely survive/thrive or die off... Screenshot_2022-08-22-14-52-32-679_com.facebook.katana.jpg
That macro is a tpye of caulerpa. It should do fine, as long as some no3 and po4 available or you could dose ammonia to feed it (you do not need much ammonia and not talking qty that would hurt the critters). Issue with it is it has a chance to go sexual and foul a tank. You can prevent this by regularly trimming and watching for the tips going white, if it goes even the slightest bit white, trim it below where it is white.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been adding more live rock...starfish are eating well and seem healthy but I'd still like to add more flora/fauna to the tank...how do non photosynthetic gorgonians usually fare??

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back