Identification help needed

gillskills

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture below.

I treated this fish with 21 days of copper in quarantine, had spots in the store (they assured me it was lympho but I treated anyway) and now it has returned. The spot on the pectoral fin looks way too big for ich and is puffy/fuzzy. The spots on the tail are highly concentrated and while they could be ich, as they have spread, there are no spots on the body, and the progression has been slower than I’d expect (first spot appeared the week before Christmas).

Today I noticed head shaking and flashing, which tells me this isn’t *just* lympho. My first thought was he had both flukes and lympho, so I dosed prazipro for now. Those spots have me worried though. I already did a long fallow period once and would really hate it if my ich quarantine failed.

3ECA0CB3-0397-4D7C-8EDC-5384B68487CF.jpeg

OP
OP
G

gillskills

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture below.

I treated this fish with 21 days of copper in quarantine, had spots in the store (they assured me it was lympho but I treated anyway) and now it has returned. The spot on the pectoral fin looks way too big for ich and is puffy/fuzzy. The spots on the tail are highly concentrated and while they could be ich, as they have spread, there are no spots on the body, and the progression has been slower than I’d expect (first spot appeared the week before Christmas).

Today I noticed head shaking and flashing, which tells me this isn’t *just* lympho. My first thought was he had both flukes and lympho, so I dosed prazipro for now. Those spots have me worried though. I already did a long fallow period once and would really hate it if my ich quarantine failed.

3ECA0CB3-0397-4D7C-8EDC-5384B68487CF.jpeg
Some of the cloudiness/fuzziness in the image is due to the glass. I do not believe the fish is cloudy

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you used anything except the copper and the 1 dose of prazi? I would definitely do a round of metronidazole in food if you can. Really helps with internal infections and parasites.

How is the butterfly eating? What else is in qt with it? Plenty of hiding spots and room to swim? I definitely see lympho, stress can cause this.

I have never used copper, but I know it has some side effects. Someon witll chime in here soon for you.

OP
OP
G

gillskills

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you used anything except the copper and the 1 dose of prazi? I would definitely do a round of metronidazole in food if you can. Really helps with internal infections and parasites.

How is the butterfly eating? What else is in qt with it? Plenty of hiding spots and room to swim? I definitely see lympho, stress can cause this.

I have never used copper, but I know it has some side effects. Someon witll chime in here soon for you.
Unfortunately, this fish ate in the store but has been challenging to feed since. It ate *some* in quarantine which I attributed to copper stress. The fish has now been in my display since December 19 as it showed no signs of illness after copper treatment. Had no other fish with it in quarantine, and is the first fish in a new FOWLR tank that has some 2 year old rock in it- I assumed it had been munching on sponges, worms and algae since it would have likely starved otherwise.

OP
OP
G

gillskills

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just following up in case anyone was interested. This did indeed turn out to be ich. Don’t know what failed in my copper procedure, but will remove, and treat with TTM and go 8 weeks fallow. Hope this guy makes it.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 21 51.2%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 22 53.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • None.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.3%
Back