Identification please!

Sfburg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nano tank is coming along nicely. I’ve had the tank going on one year now. All sorts of fun critters hitchhiking in some coral I got last fall.
I had a few issues with some Aiptasia. I’ve been using Aiptasia -X which seems to have done the trick.
I was looking over my tank today and saw a larger (1/4 inch) Amphipod shedding its skin. And while looking closer at the live rock I started seeing a lot of what at first glance, looks like a Dr. Seuss palm tree.
They are small standing I’d say about an 1/8 inch. I’ll attach a photo but they look like some sort of Anemonia. Can you tell me if the Aiptasia threw off tons of babies?? I read that when threatened they spit out cells to ensure they continue to live. I hope these aren’t them - because there at A LOT of them!!
Thank you all in advance for your help

EC9D4647-8B63-49FD-BDF1-1EBFBFF21203.jpeg EA21923A-8EA1-4EE8-A763-4E361781D19F.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Amphipods - Free food for fish and coral

OP
OP
S

Sfburg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very pretty hydroids in the first pic
Thanks for identifying them for me.
I just started reading up on them and they sound like they’ll easily take over a tank. And by the looks of it, they are well on their way. I swear they seem to have just “popped up” over the past couple of days! Of course now my eyes are trained on them so maybe they’ve been there for quite awhile. They seem to be too spread out for dosing with A-X.
anything other remedies short of removing the rock?

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for identifying them for me.
I just started reading up on them and they sound like they’ll easily take over a tank. And by the looks of it, they are well on their way. I swear they seem to have just “popped up” over the past couple of days! Of course now my eyes are trained on them so maybe they’ve been there for quite awhile. They seem to be too spread out for dosing with A-X.
anything other remedies short of removing the rock?
Have they bothered anything in your setup? 9/10 times this answer is no, and I suggest simply enjoying the guests.

they tend to wax and wane with available nutrients and food.

OP
OP
S

Sfburg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have they bothered anything in your setup? 9/10 times this answer is no, and I suggest simply enjoying the guests.

they tend to wax and wane with available nutrients and food.
Great point.
I’m enjoying watching all the little critters come out as well as the sponges, etc from this coral.
i think I’ll reduce the feeding. Right now I only have a fire shrimp. I’m probably feeding him too much.
Thanks again for your help

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back