Identify algae and help me get rid of it please!

KatieV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out tank is about a year old. For the past 4 months we've been battling this green algae. I've pulled it out, scrubbed with a toothbrush, repeatedly, and it always comes back with a vengeance and grows very fast. What is it specifically and how do I get rid of it?? Thank you!

Attach0_20210325_182947.jpg IMG_20210325_182759896.jpg IMG_20210325_182809711.jpg

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
green hair algae.

- What are your water perameters?
- What lights are you using? They look very white in the photo (hoping you did this for the photo?)
- What is your stocking list, and how often do you feed?
- Equipment list

Nathancquinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so keep trying to remove as much of that as you can (looks like common GHA to me). When you remove it from the rocks, make sure you're also getting it out of your tank with the siphon because if you don't the nutrients causing the bloom will remain in there. What are your tank parameters? Seems to me like you have high nitrates or phosphates. Plants require their sources of nitrogen to be fixated to either hydrogen or oxygen, so it could also be due to some NH4 build up from something in your filtration system, so maybe give that a rinse. Keep those parameters consistently low and your problem will be significantly less. Basically you need to starve it of the stuff it needs to survive, which is a bit complicated (in terms of light) since you already have corals in there. I would do some 10percent water changes every other day in addition to removing the algae itslef. A couple mexican turbo snails wouldn't hurt either but if you decide to add a clean up crew, don't over do it as that'll be counterproductive. One final thing I think would help is to make sure your RODI water is reading 0TDS if you're going that route with water. Algae is annoying but don't worry it gets better if you keep at it haha. Here's a video that helped me :)
BRS Algae advice

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get cleaners to eat it.. it will fix it with a little patience. Its also satisfying watching them mow thru algae, imo.

Add small powerheads to the areas that cyano is growing like mats. They likely have low flow, cyano loves a low flow environment.

jev99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
green hair algae.

- What are your water perameters?
- What lights are you using? They look very white in the photo (hoping you did this for the photo?)
- What is your stocking list, and how often do you feed?
- Equipment list
no sorry for late reply. I'm answering for her (same house):

ammonia/nitrite 0
nitrate 15
phosphate .15 (high, I know)
calcium 400
ph a little low
kh a little low

standard biocube 32 led light. full bright only 4 hours. sunrise/set lighting 7 hours (overlap), blue only 11 hours (full overlap, if youre familiar)

jev99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no sorry for late reply. I'm answering for her (same house):

ammonia/nitrite 0
nitrate 15
phosphate .15 (high, I know)
calcium 400
ph a little low
kh a little low

standard biocube 32 led light. full bright only 4 hours. sunrise/set lighting 7 hours (overlap), blue only 11 hours (full overlap, if youre familiar)
5 fish

clown
royal gramma
tailspot Benny
a 6 month old hippo tang (temporary resident until he gets a little bigger...he's tiny now)
wb possum wrasse. all fish have been together for 5 months

no issues

coral

snails

one emerald crab

Back