Identify my mushroom coral?

Noah Hemingway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased this very large mushroom coral yesterday. All I know if that it’s a mushroom leather. Can anyone else give me anymore insight? The polyps have come out but it hasn’t moved into an upright shape yet and is just sitting on the rocks? Is it going to stay like that or will it open up? I just want to know exactly what i’ve got so I can make sure it’s in the right spot :)

29C53293-60DB-4ADB-9063-1A13D6F9D440.jpeg

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a mushroom. Some sort of leather coral, but I'm not sure which one. And yes, it will change it's shape as it gets comfortable in it's new home.

What other corals do you have? Soft corals like leathers release turpines as a form of chemical warfare against stony corals. They can also cause the water to become yellowish. Using carbon in a reactor will go a long way in taking care of both issues.

OP
OP
Noah Hemingway

Noah Hemingway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a mushroom. Some sort of leather coral, but I'm not sure which one. And yes, it will change it's shape as it gets comfortable in it's new home.

What other corals do you have? Soft corals like leathers release turpines as a form of chemical warfare against stony corals. They can also cause the water to become yellowish. Using carbon in a reactor will go a long way in taking care of both issues.
It’s a softie tank all soft corals. Only non softie is my duncan.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 52 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 30 31.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back