- Identifying if it REALLY is a parasite or not -

ReefHappyChris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I am looking for some advice from your community, I am new on this forum and live in Germany. Normally when I have issues or questions I research them and find the answer, so I never seem to post on forums but I am stuck.

I bought a blue tang for my aquarium, I have wanted one for ages but held of until I knew the hobby was for me and until I got a large enough tank. I asked the store to feed him, they said he been there for 3 weeks, I was happy with the look and health of the fish and took him home. I had set up a 20 gallon quarantine tank 2 days before ready to medicate him with cupramine regardless for 4 weeks. I noticed under my brighter LED at home 3 small white spots. At first I thought this was Ich. But 10 days later after dosing copper exactly as stated on the bottle the white spots are still there, the same 3 spots. I have been in this hobby for just over 1 year so I am a novice but I have seen Ich before when I setup my first tank, a 20 gallon tank I encountered ich with my first fish, 2 clownfish (they died after 3 days) , these spots look similar on my blue tang. From what I have read ich hosts the fish and falls of the fish within a week maximum to start the cycle again and duplicate. However...

These spots are in the same area on the fish and have not dropped off 10 days later (how long can they host the fish if it is ich?) , I am thinking maybe I am treating the fish for the wrong thing. The fish eats very well and is not bothered by these spots. What could it be? if I wait 4 weeks and they are still there then I cant risk putting him in my main tank. My guess is if he had ich it would have tried to leave the fish by now and got killed by the copper after falling off. Or he would get more white spots, but there has been no change.

Would you guys recommend that I do the 4 weeks quarantine in cupramine anyway, and then try alternative treatments, if so medicine should I try? Im thinking this could be something else not sure if I am just overreacting but I would be gutted if he dies and I could have prevented it by treating him with something else.

Thanks in advance Chris

p.s I will try to get a pic but ive tried my camera cant pick up the spots because of how small they are.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I am looking for some advice from your community, I am new on this forum and live in Germany. Normally when I have issues or questions I research them and find the answer, so I never seem to post on forums but I am stuck.

I bought a blue tang for my aquarium, I have wanted one for ages but held of until I knew the hobby was for me and until I got a large enough tank. I asked the store to feed him, they said he been there for 3 weeks, I was happy with the look and health of the fish and took him home. I had set up a 20 gallon quarantine tank 2 days before ready to medicate him with cupramine regardless for 4 weeks. I noticed under my brighter LED at home 3 small white spots. At first I thought this was Ich. But 10 days later after dosing copper exactly as stated on the bottle the white spots are still there, the same 3 spots. I have been in this hobby for just over 1 year so I am a novice but I have seen Ich before when I setup my first tank, a 20 gallon tank I encountered ich with my first fish, 2 clownfish (they died after 3 days) , these spots look similar on my blue tang. From what I have read ich hosts the fish and falls of the fish within a week maximum to start the cycle again and duplicate. However...

These spots are in the same area on the fish and have not dropped off 10 days later (how long can they host the fish if it is ich?) , I am thinking maybe I am treating the fish for the wrong thing. The fish eats very well and is not bothered by these spots. What could it be? if I wait 4 weeks and they are still there then I cant risk putting him in my main tank. My guess is if he had ich it would have tried to leave the fish by now and got killed by the copper after falling off. Or he would get more white spots, but there has been no change.

Would you guys recommend that I do the 4 weeks quarantine in cupramine anyway, and then try alternative treatments, if so medicine should I try? Im thinking this could be something else not sure if I am just overreacting but I would be gutted if he dies and I could have prevented it by treating him with something else.

Thanks in advance Chris

p.s I will try to get a pic but ive tried my camera cant pick up the spots because of how small they are.
The longest time I am aware of for Cryptocaryon Irritans to feed on a fish is 7 days. I would say it is very unlikely that these white spots are due to Ich.

If it isn't bothering the fish I would continue the copper treatment through to completion. Without a better idea of the spots I can't offer any further treatment advice.

OP
OP
ReefHappyChris

ReefHappyChris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The longest time I am aware of for Cryptocaryon Irritans to feed on a fish is 7 days. I would say it is very unlikely that these white spots are due to Ich.

If it isn't bothering the fish I would continue the copper treatment through to completion. Without a better idea of the spots I can't offer any further treatment advice.
Thanks For your reply that's put my mind to rest. I will do that. It doesn't seem to bother the fish and it's not getting worse so I will wait for the 4 weeks to pass. Thanks Chris

OP
OP
ReefHappyChris

ReefHappyChris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spots are only on his body. There are nothing on his fins. There are just 3. But about the size of Ich like a grain of caster sugar size. I've tried taking pictures on my phone with no success yet

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By Blue Tang you mean a Hippo Tang, right?

If so, this is what ich looks like on one:

img_8198-1-jpg.319976

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back