Identifying the cause of my algae problem

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, hope everyone is doing well. I want to start off by saying I have a 55 gallon reef tank, it’s lit with 2 ocean revive lights that hang about 12 inches from the top of the tank, the lights are set to 35 on the blue setting and 15 on the white setting and they run from 3:00pm-11:00pm everyday. My tanks filtration consists of 2 aqua clear 55 gallon hob filters that only have a bag of bio balls in each filter, I also have a 110 gallon aqua clear hob filter which I added later on, I have filter floss, chemipure elite, carbon, and bio balls in that filter. I also am running a reef octopus hob 110 protein slimmer. I want to identify the cause of my algae problem, I have 0 nitrate, nitrite, phosphate, and ammonia in my tank, I feed frozen food but at a very slow pace so I don’t have excess in my tank, I have 5 fish in my tank currently which are all small, and I top off my tank with bottled water. Can anyone with more experience please try to help me pin point the cause of my algae problem! Sorry for the long message in advance!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odds are that if you have algae in your tank, then your nitrates and phosphates aren't at 0. They may seem like that and test like that, but in reality the algae is actually consuming the nitrates and phosphates causing the 0 readings. What type of algae are we talking about, standard green algae, GHA, Cyano? You said you feed frozen at a slow pace, how do you mean? How much frozen do you feed daily? Also, you said you top off with bottled water, I would use RO/DI water, either from a LFS or made from a RO/DI system.

Sorry for all the questions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll post up a picture for your viewing pleasure in a bit, I believe it’s green hair algae but I will need your expert opinion when I post the picture please :)

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
Odds are that if you have algae in your tank, then your nitrates and phosphates aren't at 0. They may seem like that and test like that, but in reality the algae is actually consuming the nitrates and phosphates causing the 0 readings. What type of algae are we talking about, standard green algae, GHA, Cyano? You said you feed frozen at a slow pace, how do you mean? How much frozen do you feed daily? Also, you said you top off with bottled water, I would use RO/DI water, either from a LFS or made from a RO/DI system.

Thank you for the reply I appreciate it, I’ll post a picture of it for you to see but I believe it’s green hair algae. I did think it was from the bottled water as well, what do you think about silicates from the bottled water causing algae? I feed about half a cube of frozen mysis,clam, and sponge blend.

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pictures? How bad is the algae?

I also feed slowly by feeding little bits at a time and not feeding more until all the food is eaten.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T

Thank you for the reply I appreciate it, I’ll post a picture of it for you to see but I believe it’s green hair algae. I did think it was from the bottled water as well, what do you think about silicates from the bottled water causing algae? I feed about half a cube of frozen mysis,clam, and sponge blend.
That's a good possibility, If its possible I would invest in a RO/DI setup, if not then RO/DI water from your LFS will do.

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the algae growing on my rocks

image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good possibility, If its possible I would invest in a RO/DI setup, if not then RO/DI water from your LFS will do.
I attached some pictures below as well, Im gonna start buying ro/di water from my lfs as well to top my tank off, definitely think I’m introducing some impurities to my tank by using drinking water.

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll post up a picture for your viewing pleasure in a bit, I believe it’s green hair algae but I will need your expert opinion when I post the picture please :)
Just put up those pictures!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back