If I dose acropower and fuel my tank does worse

jgaroppo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank has been going about a year, I have probably 10 acros, and about 15 other corals mixed in. I use Red Sea salt for my salt mix the large bag that’s blue and white. So I’ve been dosing fuel and acropower as directed by my friend who has been in the coral industry for some 15-20 years. I’ve never really had great polyp extension or growth from acros and never understood why, I keep my levels pretty consistent and plenty of lighting. About 2 months ago I fought Covid and needless to say I slacked off in my tank for a couple of months just due to lack of energy and just trying to keep my focus on work and kids was hard enough. I started to notice my tank was doing a lot better one day and couldn’t believe it because I had been paying it not attention simply feeding fish and giving it water changes and changing filter media. I was not dosing either of the two chemicals and my polyp extensions was great the corals started to encrust I was seeing new growth and getting more color. Then I decided to dose the chemicals again I was doing 20 ml of acropower and 25 ml of fuel I have a Red Sea 525 xl. So it’s approximately 130 gallons. So I started dosing again hoping I would see better growth and everything just stopped again, little to no polyp extension growth is back to nothing almost. Why is this I thought this stuff was supposed to fuel my acros and spark growth and enhance color. What is going on? Please someone explain this?

D1D1F434-E8D8-4481-8EF3-543B60A51700.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like broccoli ......some people hate it. Maybe your corals dont need it and keep their mouths closed. They can be pretty smart. *_#

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think it's hard to say without knowing your parameters before and after dosing.

Given that your tank has been going for about a year, it's even harder to pinpoint because it coincides with tank maturity. Could be nothing you did and simply that that tank matured more.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Acropower is amino acids aka Dissolved Organic Nitrogen (DON) My guess is you're getting an imballance in nutrients and are potentially disrupting thier photobiology and microbiomes.

That's interesting..............I would guess N03 levels play a role?..... for example if N03 is low those amino supplements may not have a negative effect and be beneficial.

To the OP...............from what I know of the two products you are double dosing amino acid.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting..............I would guess N03 levels play a role?..... for example if N03 is low those amino supplements may not have a negative effect and be beneficial . . .

DOn't forget urea and ammonia availability also as well as mutualisitic diazotrophs converting N2 into nitrates for their coral hosts. ANd orgainc and inorganic phosphorus availability also plays into this. And there will be species/genotype and symbiont clade variablity as well. :(

OP
OP
J

jgaroppo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So don’t dose both? my levels are pretty good phosphates are a steady .03 all the time, I was having a problem with my calcium staying pretty high while dosing the aminos but since I stopped everything has regulated and is remaining pretty consistent.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you found your tank was at it's best when you stopped tinkering. I think perhaps you overlooked the lesson at that time that maybe less is more. As long as you are in acceptable ranges, stability might be the most important thing you can provide your tank.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So don’t dose both? my levels are pretty good phosphates are a steady .03 all the time, I was having a problem with my calcium staying pretty high while dosing the aminos but since I stopped everything has regulated and is remaining pretty consistent.

How much you dose depends on how much your corals need. Imbalances or the wrong forms can disrupt coral photobiology reducing their ability to build skeltons. Seems to me your rise in calcium is a good indicator your corals photobiology was disrupted by not having enough phosphorus for the available nitrogen. If yo're interested here's some links on both nitrogen and phosphorus and corals:

Ammonium Uptake by Symbiotic and Aposymbiotic Reef Corals

Amino acids a source of nitrogen for corals

Urea a source of nitrogen for corals

Diazotrpophs a source of nitrogen for corals

Context Dependant Effects of Nutrient Loading on the Coral-Algal Mutualism

An Experimental Mesocosm for Longterm Studies of Reef Corals

Phosphate Deficiency:
Nutrient enrichment can increase the susceptibility of reef corals to bleaching:

Ultrastructural Biomarkers in Symbiotic Algae Reflect the Availability of Dissolved Inorganic Nutrients and Particulate Food to the Reef Coral Holobiont:

Phosphate deficiency promotes coral bleaching and is reflected by the ultrastructure of symbiotic dinoflagellates

Effects of phosphate on growth and skeletal density in the scleractinian coral Acropora muricata: A controlled experimental approach

High phosphate uptake requirements of the scleractinian coral Stylophora pistillata

Phosphorus metabolism of reef organisms with algal symbionts

Sponge symbionts and the marine P cycle

Phosphorus sequestration in the form of polyphosphate by microbial symbionts in marine sponges

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing nutrients is not selective to corals. It also helps the bad guys.
If I fertilize my garden that has weeds, both the flowers and weeds benefit.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back