If I love it, should I let it go?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in a really though spot.
I bought an elegance coral for my nano reef a few days ago, not having known much about them at the time. After doing a lot of research, I learned about their sensitivity and susceptibility to ECS. I knew it was a mistake, especially when after moving it in my tank, it reacted very much, as shown:
EF754BBF-5C2B-472E-88E9-CE6CA68FA995.jpeg

I thought it was a goner. However, today, it’s back, and open better than it ever was.
BA06DABA-68F1-4707-81AE-079D203C4602.jpeg
Although nothing happened and I dodged a bullet once, I know of their low success rate, and simply fear that under my tank’s conditions, it will perish over time. I already called the LFS, and they’re more than willing to take it back from me. They did say, however, that they have a strict coral QT and aquaculture protocol, so the coral I bought should be completely free of ECS. I still, however, fear it will wither away in my small, relatively new and unstable, tank.

I’m conflicted. I love this coral so much. I’ve had it for less than a week, and it already is my favorite coral. It is the elegant centerpiece my tank was previously missing. I do not want to get rid of it. However, because of how much I love it, I would hate even more to see it slowly deteriorate. I feel like it is only responsible to allow someone with more experience and a more stable tank to take care for such a nice piece. Am I making the right call to bring it back to the LFS? If I do keep it, will I slowly see it die?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont understand your logic for returning it so yes keep it.
Many people don’t keep elegance corals for long. I spent a lot of money and it is such a nice piece, but it seems their success rate is limited. I bought it knowing not a think about it. I feel as though it should be bought by someone of higher experience.

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say if you like the coral, keep the coral. Its one of the unfortunate things in this hobby, even with best practices and intentions in place, not everything we put in our tanks is going to thrive.

Try not to micromanage it, let it do its thing, and enjoy it while you have it.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is very new, and, unfortunately, still a little unstable. I feel like by keeping it, I'll always be stressed it will wither away...

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is very new, and, unfortunately, still a little unstable. I feel like by keeping it, I'll always be stressed it will wither away...
You will always get challenges, not just in this hobby but in general. Fighting makes it more special when you succeed. Good luck.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best you can do is to provide the most stable conditions until it matures

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stress, is always a little (sometimes big), part of this 'game'... I would keep it and consider it your first big challenge with this tank. I've been there over the years and especially at the beginning, where I tried things I shouldn't have and some failures, along with several surprising successes....it looks to be very happy today in your pic.

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I might keep it. It would certainly feel good to keep it alive. I will talk with the lfs and see what they say.
Practice makes perfect! It's the only way to get experience. I hope you keep it and that it does well

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
See if they can hold it 4 weeks allowing tank to further stabilize. I have one the size of a soccer ball and theyre very forgiving in most cases

Moderate light and water flow
ph 8.2
salinity 1.025
temp 77-79
alk 8-9
mag 1300
nitrate < .04
ammonia < .03
Phos < .05

elegance1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if they can hold it 4 weeks allowing tank tyo further stabilize. I have one the size of a soccer ball and theyre very forgiving in most cases

Moderate light and water flow
ph 8.2
salinity 1.025
temp 77-79
alk 8-9
mag 1300
nitrate < .04
ammonia < .03
Phos < .05
Thanks. Mostly everything is stable at this point, except po4 which is back and forth.

Even in lighting, it tends to close all the way in the afternoon, and be completely closed at night. Is this normal for an acclimating coral?

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at the LFS today, and we both agreed that a fluval 13.5 is just not large enough to sustain the elegance coral. I was upset about getting rid of it, but it seemed to be the right thing to do. I got a large hammer colony in its place, and although it would never replace the elegance, I think it makes a good addition to the tank. It was a tough call, but I was simply too nervous about future issues in my nano tank, and just felt more comfortable in the end with returning it. I loved the coral, but am more than confident it will make a wonderful centerpiece to a lucky reefer’s tank.

Have a great weekend, everyone! :)

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at the LFS today, and we both agreed that a fluval 13.5 is just not large enough to sustain the elegance coral. I was upset about getting rid of it, but it seemed to be the right thing to do. I got a large hammer colony in its place, and although it would never replace the elegance, I think it makes a good addition to the tank. It was a tough call, but I was simply too nervous about future issues in my nano tank, and just felt more comfortable in the end with returning it. I loved the coral, but am more than confident it will make a wonderful centerpiece to a lucky reefer’s tank.

Have a great weekend, everyone! :)
Tough decision for sure. .
But probably the best decision .
A hammer also makes a beautiful centre piece

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had mine in a Nuvo 10 for over a year before I got my bigger tank. They aren’t as hard to keep as many are led to believe.
4C6F1EBE-53DA-476E-966E-F6C459F240C3.jpeg
40A950AB-7E28-43C4-BA31-E75EB0ECE806.jpeg
I’m sorry you have it up, but I think that you’ll end up getting another one. There’s nothing like them.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back