If money was not an option?

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feather Star.... saw in one of my local stores, and was mesmerized. Researched feeding requirements and success, along with consulting with store owner and said no leave it. But, if I had a bit more confidence? They are gorgeous creatures....
feather-star-1-1.jpg

OP
OP
mb5322

mb5322

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feather Star.... saw in one of my local stores, and was mesmerized. Researched feeding requirements and success, along with consulting with store owner and said no leave it. But, if I had a bit more confidence? They are gorgeous creatures....
feather-star-1-1.jpg
They are really mesmerizing, definitely have to do some research. Thanks!

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the same stuff as if money was an option.

A lot of the really expensive fish are that way because they're not hardy. A lot are that way because they're endangered. And a lot are that way because they're hard to collect and collecting causes habitat damage.

And a lot of them aren't that attractive. I'd rather watch a Powder Blue tang or a hepatus swim around than a gem tang. They're better looking.

RDtrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'd skip the eels. I've had eels before, specifically a pair of golden dwarf moray eels, they were great but after awhile I couldn't keep any smaller fish with them. Blue Spot Jagdish, gobies, etc.

On the fish side you can't beat a pair of candy basslets. You'll pay a premium but they are rock solid and drop dead gorgeous. I've had a pair in the past and I'm definitely adding a pair to my current tank. The avid reefer will be jealous and your novice friends will be like what the crap.

I'd also offer a pair of borbonius anthias but if you want a small shoalnof other anthias I'd skip them.

Also something cool to do with a smaller and even larger tank is a group of barnacle blennies. They are a lot of fun to watch.

Good luck.

P.S. If your wife wants an anemone for the clowns I would get one but get a nice one; they are spending but gorgeous.

Skip the feather start they are impossible to keep long term.

Attachments

• 20161105_114715.jpg
    20161105_114715.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
mb5322

mb5322

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'd skip the eels. I've had eels before, specifically a pair of golden dwarf moray eels, they were great but after awhile I couldn't keep any smaller fish with them. Blue Spot Jagdish, gobies, etc.

On the fish side you can't beat a pair of candy basslets. You'll pay a premium but they are rock solid and drop dead gorgeous. I've had a pair in the past and I'm definitely adding a pair to my current tank. The avid reefer will be jealous and your novice friends will be like what the crap.

I'd also offer a pair of borbonius anthias but if you want a small shoalnof other anthias I'd skip them.

Also something cool to do with a smaller and even larger tank is a group of barnacle blennies. They are a lot of fun to watch.

Good luck.

P.S. If your wife wants an anemone for the clowns I would get one but get a nice one; they are spending but gorgeous.

Is that a pink bubble tip in the background?the candy basslets are a definite for me, do you suggest a single or pair?

OP
OP
mb5322

mb5322

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good luck.

And with the candy basslet, I've been worried about temperature, my tank is 77, I know they're a Deepwater fish that cooler temperatures, is this an issue?

RDtrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And with the candy basslet, I've been worried about temperature, my tank is 77, I know they're a Deepwater fish that cooler temperatures, is this an issue?
I actually run my tank between 78 and 79 and had no problem whatsoever.

I think a natural collected pair is definitely cool but it's more costly. It was neat to see them interact.

Yes just a plain on rainbow bubble tip with green star polyps.

Attachments

• 20160826_171815.jpg
    20160826_171815.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
mb5322

mb5322

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually run my tank between 78 and 79 and had no problem whatsoever.

I think a natural collected pair is definitely cool but it's more costly. It was neat to see them interact.

Yes just a plain on rainbow bubble tip with green star polyps.
Gorgeous fish, my wife got to pick the clowns so now she said she gets to pick their home. Shes had her eye on a bubble identical to that, at our lfs. Looks good

RDtrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous fish, my wife got to pick the clowns so now she said she gets to pick their home. Shes had her eye on a bubble identical to that, at our lfs. Looks good
This might be a better picture of it. Its just a common bubble tip. I've attached a picture of my colorado sun burst too. I can't take pictures worth a crap in my new tank. But the picture doesn't do it justice. They are insane.

Attachments

• 20161120_143252.jpg
    20161120_143252.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 20201112_212117.jpg
    20201112_212117.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
mb5322

mb5322

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a better picture of it. Its just a common bubble tip. I've attached a picture of my colorado sun burst too. I can't take pictures worth a crap in my new tank. But the picture doesn't do it justice. They are insane.
I may have to get her the bubble, yours looks good.

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think money really matters as far as looks go. I know automation and all the cool stuff can add up pretty quick but I’ve seen just some softy tanks that are absolutely beautiful with cheaper corals and equipment.

OP
OP
mb5322

mb5322

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think money really matters as far as looks go. I know automation and all the cool stuff can add up pretty quick but I’ve seen just some softy tanks that are absolutely beautiful with cheaper corals and equipment.
Yeah I didn't word that correctly. I should have said unique or not seen in every tank. I don't care if it cost $1 as long as it's unique.

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Difficulty in husbandry dictates price usually. Uncommon fishes and corals fall into this category a lot of times. Fish and corals that are common are that way due to ease of care needed. I just go with what looks good to me and is within my limited skill set.
I gotta disagree here, at least as far as corals are concerned. Nice looking Acanthophyllia can fetch over $1500 and they're not particularly difficult. Bounce mushrooms are easy to take care of (and frag/replicate!), yet think of the prices they go for. On the other end of the spectrum, frags of comon acros are only $10-$25, and LiveAquaria has a Dendronephthya for $38. It's all just supply and demand.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back