If money wasnt an issue. Would you hire an reef/aquarium maintenance service?

If money wasnt an issue. Would you hire an reef/aquarium maintenance service?

• Total voters

MillennialReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started reefing and I can only assume this applies to many of us, It was because the tanks I saw were spectacular and I wanted to have one in my home! However, once you get in to the hobby you begin to learn you must be a biologist, chemist, plumber, structural engineer and have enough patience to witness the evolution of a tank. Which is very fun and educational but sometimes I feel I just want my tank to be perfect without having to think critically (which I do daily while at work lol)

That being said, there are times I wish someone could come over and just take care of my tank in terms of deep cleaning, testing, maintenance and solve any issues (I don't mind cleaning the glass and feeding the fish, that's the fun part for me lol)

How many of you have had similar thought?

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy the maintenance aspect of reefing and knowing that everything about my tank (good and bad) is because of my efforts. I feel like if you're not actively maintaining your own tank, you're not getting the full experience of reefing. If I had a much larger tank I could see maybe having someone help out with certain maintenance tasks, but I would still want to be directly involved.

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, I value the process of keeping the reef. Therefore even if tank maintenance can be tedious at times, getting personally involved allows me to be in tune of my aquarium.

I guess when I know the aquarium inside out, I can better evaluate the outcome when I carry out (unconventional) experiments.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe if I lived near TSA or something, I had a company take care of my last tank for 2 months due to being away and I was not happy. So the answer is maybe with references and examples of tanks they are taking care of now.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I would own such a massive tank/tanks and fish room that I would need about 3 of me so yes :) I would still be as involved as I am now which is border line obsessive ;)

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a new reefer, no -- I want to learn, and develop the ability to build and manage a reef on my own. After being an established reefer -- yes, b/c I do not get joy from the maintenance lol.

Time is our most precious resource, and we can never get it back once it's gone, so if money were no object I would pay for help with the things that don't bring me joy and spend more of my time on the things that do.

That said, I would NEVER want to have someone else managing something I own but I don't know how to manage myself, and that's why I wouldn't do it as a new reefer even if money were no object.

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would really depend on who is doing the maintenance. Unfortunately lots of companies all kinda look the same but def don't do the same things

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If money was no object I would live where I could snorkel over a real reef and spend the rest of the day gardening.
This^^^^

However, if my budget was significantly higher, I would every couple weeks/monthly for water changes and other tasks

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not on a normal basis. I have an acquaintance who lost thousands of dollars of coral and fish before Christmas due to a faulty heater which got stuck on. It was a huge tank and his maintenance person had been taking care of his tank for probably several years. I couldn't believe on a tank that size a controller had never be set up.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back