If money wasnt an issue. Would you hire an reef/aquarium maintenance service?

If money wasnt an issue. Would you hire an reef/aquarium maintenance service?

• Total voters

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely hire someone to set up and run one of the incredible sps coral aquariums on this forum! I have yet to attempt that level of mastery. Then I would do the same for a planted freshwater aquarium like Mr. Amano did for his clients!

dkfrosty1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the weekly water changes/minor cleaning, rearranging, etc, no, but fixing stuff in the tiny cabinet with my refugium, I’m tempted.…..I don’t bend like I used to Any my sump is getting pretty cruddy lol.

brahm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other, if money wasn’t an issue I’d have reef tanks in all 10 of my houses and a large aquaculture facility no way I could do that all by lonesome.

But in a more grounded reality still yes, right now I’m traveling for work, while I’m grateful for my friends, roommates, and Neigbor’s that poke in and feed the tank. Having someone with experience come by that can do the same level of things I do, when I’m out of town would offer some piece of mind.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I feel like most of the fun is in taking care of it by myself. Otherwise I feel like I could just go to the local aquarium and it would be the same as having someone come and take care of a reef tank at home for me.
That or just get an aquarium screen saver. Just think..you wouldnt have to worry about reef safe fish!!

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is a show object i could imagine this would be the solution.

For me the challenges of designing, building, and watching all effort turn into great results is the most rewarding of this hobby. Yes it's it's suppose to take up some time and cost some money, otherwise it would be work.

I was retired since 2007 so time and money was never a issue. So this hobby was an ideal challenge aka timepassing.

20220122_163232.jpg

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a person who's degree is in marine biology and primarily working in other areas of Ecology, this is my biggest connection to my true passion. If I am not regularly elbows deep in the tank or using micropipettes to test water quality, it's not scratching that itch. Been doing this for 10+ years now and a big part of the joy for me is solving problems and developing new and better methods for doing everything, including the most mundane tasks.

Plus the cost of hiring me a maintenance company put towards the system would afford me an opportunity to go bigger and get more livestock. Or set up more systems despite my wife's protests.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did other, because absolutely yes. But, I would only have them do one thing for me. It's the part I hate the most. Clean all four sides of my glass. It takes me around an hour to clean all four sides of my glass. I would do all other maintenance - clean the algae scrubber, powerheads, skimmer, change out the auto roller, do the routine testing, and adjust dosers. But, cleaning the glass, I absolutely would consider paying someone weekly just to clean the glass even if the algae grows in within 3-4 days.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did other, because absolutely yes. But, I would only have them do one thing for me. It's the part I hate the most. Clean all four sides of my glass. It takes me around an hour to clean all four sides of my glass. I would do all other maintenance - clean the algae scrubber, powerheads, skimmer, change out the auto roller, do the routine testing, and adjust dosers. But, cleaning the glass, I absolutely would consider paying someone weekly just to clean the glass even if the algae grows in within 3-4 days.
I would go with the exact opposite. Let someone else clean the equipment. I don't want anyone touching the glass but me.

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably use one for two reasons… one I travel a lot so that would be helpful (although asking wife to do it has helped her embrace the tank and enjoy it more)…

I would like to have someone on retainer basically lol 150g, salt water, 2-3 large tubs for livestock, etc on a whim… but that’s also not really practical. My LFS does a great job though and keeps hospital tanks available for a pinch very modestly priced in a pinch.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping a reef tank is a biology lesson, a chemistry lesson and a hobby built into one. Personally, a lot of the satisfaction comes with knowing I battled through things and came out on top. The day i need an aquarium maintenance person for my home tank is the day i officially step away.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted no because if money wasn’t a object, full automation would definitely be my M.O. .

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted No as I enjoy MOST of the maintenance for my reef tanks. The other is no because at least around here there are few to none maintenance services that know as much about reef tanks as the average hobbyists. The mistakes I see them make sometimes makes me cringe.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I voted weekly. Then all I would focus on was aquascaping, adding new corals and the fun stuff I enjoy. :)

ShadowMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've chosen 2, No and Other.

No - because to me that's the whole point of having my very own reef at home, the ups and downs and joy of accomplishment at having a thriving reef system.
(Otherwise you may as well just have the old aquarium screensaver on a TV screen :face-with-hand-over-mouth:)

Other - simply because, like most, I stumbled into this hobby and it's been (and still is) quite the learning process (with a steep curve at times). I wouldn't mind a professional once over, (entire system), just to help iron out the bumps/potential pitfalls

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back