If unattended, what would be the first system to cause an issue on your tank?

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While preparing my tank before I go on vacation, I started thinking about what part of my tank would potentially be the first to cause an issue if left unattended. Everything in my tank is pretty much 100% automated, feeding, dosing, top offs - but I'd have to say it'd be my ATO system. I have a large enough reservoir for about 8 days of evaporation. Shortly after that my skimmer cup would overflow, and as I have a HOB skimmer it'd dump skimmate all over the inside of my stand.

How long could your tank last before something would go south?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish-food. ATO would run dry around the 8-10 day mark.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My first issue would be an empty ATO reservoir. Fish can go without food for quite a while (plus, there's at least pods and stuff in the tank they can munch on for a bit).

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish are very needy and really can't go a day without hearing me talk to them in a baby voice so the first thing to go would be their sanity. The second would probably be the ATO but even if it did it wouldn't really flood anything as it only holds 3 days worth water. The skimmer would just overflow back into the sump.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO. It's on the house sitter's instructions to make sure the bucket has water in it and that all the switches are flipped on. I did a water change before leaving last Thanksgiving and forgot to turn the ATO back on :( got home to the pump running dry and the tank was at 1.035 and 65F. Amazingly didn't lose anything. Still feel so awful for my clowns.

How long are you gone for? If you've got everything automated, are you able to check on it remotely? You're probably good if that's the case.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back