IF $$$ WAS NO OBJECT. WHAT CORAL WOULD YOU BUY??

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If money were no object and I had the perfect setup, I would try and find solid red, solid gold and rainbow Acanthophyllias of decent sizes. I would also try to find some nice iced Cynarinas (red with white spots and stripes) as well as a rainbow Indophyllia. I would buy a colony of Sunkist shrooms and try to get ahold of a nice golden Anacropora colony. On the absolute top of my want list though is a blue LTA.
Fish wise, I would get a skeletor eel and a giant harem of Huchtii anthias. I would also try to obtain a pair of joculator angelfish and a male feminine wrasse.

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's down 700 point, is this the correction your talking about??

Coral I want.............All the SPS in the world?
50c and not a penny more! jk
I just got into the hobby, so it's crazy to hear how prices have changed

OP
OP
PeterB113

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If money were no object and I had the perfect setup, I would try and find solid red, solid gold and rainbow Acanthophyllias of decent sizes. I would also try to find some nice iced Cynarinas (red with white spots and stripes) as well as a rainbow Indophyllia. I would buy a colony of Sunkist shrooms and try to get ahold of a nice golden Anacropora colony. On the absolute top of my want list though is a blue LTA.
Fish wise, I would get a skeletor eel and a giant harem of Huchtii anthias. I would also try to obtain a pair of joculator angelfish and a male feminine wrasse.
+1 blue LTA

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here wish I started 5yr ago

Well maybe you don't..5 years ago a 1 inch Rainbow Loom frag would have cost you a few hundred dollars, I just bought 2 big frags a few weeks ago for $30 each..
Unless you have to be the first to have the latest and greatest just wait it out and everything that costs hundreds today will be cheap and cheerful in no time at all. :)

OP
OP
PeterB113

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well maybe you don't..5 years ago a 1 inch Rainbow Loom frag would have cost you a few hundred dollars, I just bought 2 big frags a few weeks ago for $30 each..
Unless you have to be the first to have the latest and greatest just wait it out and everything that costs hundreds today will be cheap and cheerful in no time at all. :)
Can I see a pic not sure what rainbow loom even is lol. And what other corals have u seen go for crazy money years ago and now it's cheap?

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I see a pic not sure what rainbow loom even is lol. And what other corals have u seen go for crazy money years ago and now it's cheap?
Rainbow Loom is an Acropora.
It’s fairly easy to track pricing. I wasn’t even in the hobby 5 years ago but if you search here under the coral name a number of for sale listings will come up from recent to years ago and it gives you a good idea on current and past value $
Any coral that can be easily propagated at the hobbiest level will drop in price like a stone once it saturates the market. Bounce mushrooms are a good example. Spendy now but in a couple years or less they’ll be cheap as chips.
1918E0EC-80B0-452D-9E38-4A2170BA4D35.jpeg

OP
OP
PeterB113

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rainbow Loom is an Acropora.
It’s fairly easy to track pricing. I wasn’t even in the hobby 5 years ago but if you search here under the coral name a number of for sale listings will come up from recent to years ago and it gives you a good idea on current and past value $
Any coral that can be easily propagated at the hobbiest level will drop in price like a stone once it saturates the market. Bounce mushrooms are a good example. Spendy now but in a couple years or less they’ll be cheap as chips.
1918E0EC-80B0-452D-9E38-4A2170BA4D35.jpeg
Hope that's not the case lol just bought a OG Bouce 2 weeks ago for a pretty penny.... guess I gotta get to fragging quick and get some money back.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope that's not the case lol just bought a OG Bouce 2 weeks ago for a pretty penny.... guess I gotta get to fragging quick and get some money back.
The tricky part is, once the price drops on some of these corals, the major vendors will just stop carrying them. They'll just leave it to the Garage Fraggers to sell it for 1/4 of the price .

Saltandfresh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If money were no object I Still wouldn't spend more than a hundred bucks on Any coral.
I find beautiful corals all the time, including Acro for $30. I'm not trying to impress the internet with my tank, just myself.
I agree so much with this. The corals I started off with when I got into reefing were all less than $100. I eventually thought I needed to step up my game and purchased $1,000 corals. Dumb mistake. The cheaper corals are more beautiful and stress free. My long spine urchin has been munching on my $1000 acro ( which isn’t even beautiful ) and it’s just pure stress.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.0%
Back