If you buy Everything off the shelf, Are you building anything?

OldSchool Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For about 2 months now I have been building (by myself) almost everything (with Details and Drawings) for my new large system (225 + gal) with the exception of major components and posting my progress almost daily. There doesn’t seem to be any interest, what gives?

kalare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what this question is all about. Any interest in what?

I don't have time build all my own stuff anymore though I've built quite a few skimmrrs and various filters many years ago. Now I've got life and children and work. I don't for one second think that my newer systems are any less "built" by me than my older systems just because now I don't have time to diy and I have the means to pay for the good stuff.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For about 2 months now I have been building (by myself) almost everything (with Details and Drawings) for my new large system (225 + gal) with the exception of major components and posting my progress almost daily. There doesn’t seem to be any interest, what gives?
I build everything myself also and I just feel no one has the appreciation for it also. Most can’t do the work it takes so don’t wanna be entertained by it I feel

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you build a car do you have to create all the parts too?

I think it’s just another level of building but building nonetheless.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do any of this for anything other than your personal enjoyment you are probably wasting your time. Popular Mechanics used to be a wonderful magazine with plans to make all sorts of things. It dies because people stopped doing things. Radio Shack is gone, pet shops are gone, speed shops are gone, hobby shops are gone. Local racing of RC, bikes, cars and off road is gone.

I am not a fabricator. I am just an assembler. I take things I can buy and put them together in new ways to make them do what I want.

People want to open the box and play with something until they are bored and go back to clickbait on their phones.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@OldSchool Reefer I understand what you mean. I built my stand and sump myself. I also built my rockwork. Yes as others have stated... its built with components off the shelf but that was not what you meant. I also am working on plans for a custom 250 gallon DT with a 75 gallon sump. I bought retro kits for the lighting, will be building my own stand, building my own sump, etc. I won't build the tank but I will design it and have someone else build it for me.
I do enjoy the art of DIY.

OP
OP
OldSchool Reefer

OldSchool Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what this question is all about. Any interest in what?

I don't have time build all my own stuff anymore though I've built quite a few skimmrrs and various filters many years ago. Now I've got life and children and work. I don't for one second think that my newer systems are any less "built" by me than my older systems just because now I don't have time to diy and I have the means to pay for the good stuff.
I’m using the highest quality components for everything, along with CAD drawings and examples of both CNC and Old Schoo methods; so I’m thinking that’s not it. It seem to me most here just want to find the simplest and fastest way to get rid of their _________, not real interested in all it takes to have a successful long term reef!

OP
OP
OldSchool Reefer

OldSchool Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you build a car do you have to create all the parts too?

I think it’s just another level of building but building nonetheless.
I’ve done that too and yes I made many of the parts myself too! What makes anything unique? Oh I know my Honda is exactly like yours but I run 96 octane instead oh that 93 you run! :rolleyes:

OP
OP
OldSchool Reefer

OldSchool Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like you could say the same thing for anything. If I go to Home Depot and build a home, did I build it? Most would say yes, even though everything will be off a shelf.
You seem to be agreeing but not getting the point! I’m not talking about cutting down the tree but milling your own wood is not the same as going to the Depot because it’s still a 2X4.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes it a matter of degrees. All our systems come with a “some assembly required” warning. Did I purchase most of my new tank hardware? Sure. But the pieces I couldn’t find, I designed what I needed and built to meet my needs. The RODI connections to the sink were done by me as will be the two tanks for water changes and top off. I do what I can to get the result I’m after. Beyond that, I do what I enjoy. This is a hobby after all, it’s meant to be fun. :cool:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve done that too and yes I made many of the parts myself too! What makes anything unique? Oh I know my Honda is exactly like yours but I run 96 octane instead oh that 93 you run! :rolleyes:

Haha!

But you do have to recognize that we all have gifts and abilities in life and there is no way I could ever build like you build. It doesn’t mean I don’t care or take pride in what I am able to do. I also shouldn’t feel bad that I have to buy certain things instead of build them. My reef will be so much better without me building the parts! Haha!

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using the highest quality components for everything, along with CAD drawings and examples of both CNC and Old Schoo methods; so I’m thinking that’s not it. It seem to me most here just want to find the simplest and fastest way to get rid of their _________, not real interested in all it takes to have a successful long term reef!
Read your thread... these are things I have no clue about. Very impressive.

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha!

But you do have to recognize that we all have gifts and abilities in life and there is no way I could ever build like you build. It doesn’t mean I don’t care or take pride in what I am able to do. I also shouldn’t feel bad that I have to buy certain things instead of build them. My reef will be so much better without me building the parts! Haha!
I'm in the same boat. I have a 2x4 stand skinned in cabinet grade plywood. I was quite pleased, even added decorative trim... no way with my current skill set could I build what @OldSchool Reefer built.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm in the same boat. I have a 2x4 stand skinned in cabinet grade plywood. I was quite pleased, even added decorative trim... no way with my current skill set could I build what @OldSchool Reefer built.

Now that you mention it I did build my sumo stand, Frag tank stand, water station etc.. I’m so proud right now!! Haha!

2B983F3A-9730-4056-B156-3F3828C18753.jpeg

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try and Macgyver things that are available to support a need. That could be using a HOB or Canister filter for something else or finding acrylic items at the container store that helps out in the hobby...

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that you mention it I did build my sumo stand, Frag tank stand, water station etc.. I’m so proud right now!! Haha!

2B983F3A-9730-4056-B156-3F3828C18753.jpeg
See... lol as you said different skill sets. I think those look very nice. There is a little DIY in all of us I believe.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most that come here old school reefer are n00bs. U can post all the diy kool awsomeness u want. If the n00b dosent even know what theyre looking at let alone how it would help them with their tank. They will have no intrest. Your spot on that some people are just looking for the easiest way to do something and the fastest cheapest.
My personal build thread is just suppose to be a picture thread of the life and livestock. Instead i have equipment and plumbing and blahblahblah. Yes i diy some stuff and share.
I think its just personal prefrence really.
You have low to no likes or no views whats so ever?
D

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back