If you can calibrate your temperature probe - you probably should.

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've generally always just looked for stability in the Temp, PH, etc. I've tended to expand the alert ranges but for some reason on the PH probe it won't let me set custom ranges [it did at one point, but now it won't...].

I mean honestly there's not much sense in setting up alerts about things unless you're going to do something about them when they happen. I can always look at the graphs at any time and see historically what it did :).

Last edited:

C.bldwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah the PH reading difference isn't going to affect anything but my Apex alerting me when it drops 0.01 below the threshold :p.

And yeah 1.5* isn't going to kill anything - but I was a bit surprised to find it that far off.

I’m not surprised at all, most probes are lucky if they can even read within a .5 F. I have 2 apex ones that were calabrated to read the same temp and within a month or so they read .5-.8 F difference. When I looked into calabrations thermometers, most of them are only accurate to a degree or 2 and my brother who is in HVAC told me a lot of HVAC guys will calibrate there temperature probes using a bowl of ice water and calibrating to 32 F once the reading stabilizes.

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not surprised at all, most probes are lucky if they can even read within a .5 F. I have 2 apex ones that were calabrated to read the same temp and within a month or so they read .5-.8 F difference. When I looked into calabrations thermometers, most of them are only accurate to a degree or 2 and my brother who is in HVAC told me a lot of HVAC guys will calibrate there temperature probes using a bowl of ice water and calibrating to 32 F once the reading stabilizes.
Yeah I've seen that method before.

That said as I have a 0.4 *F certified thermometer on-hand I used it. I suppose I could put it in ice water and see what it shows :p.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back