If you can see traces of either GHA or Bryopsis, don't do SPS

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my friend's suggestion after i told him that my tank has GHA few weeks ago but I have tested my Po4 via Hanna checker Phosphorus ULR and it's zero.

Many and many WCs have been done and my gut feel even without the big WC, it reads zero because GHA is consuming the Po4.

All of the GHA have now been sucked out of the system but I admit that does not mean they may not come back.

Any of you folks have experience keeping SPS even with GHA outbreak? I mean we all have and will encountered GHA, Cyano, Bryopsis at some point right?

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really?

If you don't have algae somewhere in your tank, your tank is not healthy. Stark white rocks, in a stark white tank is in no way a healthy system.

Theres a difference between a healthy amount of algae, and a plague.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to add.....

Just finished a battle with bryopsis, and my stytem is full of healthy colorful SPS. It actually came in on a frag of SPS.

Suppose my nutrients are too high to have SPS too?(NO3 15 to 20ppm, and PO4 between 0.1 and 0.2)

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really?

If you don't have algae somewhere in your tank, your tank is not healthy. Stark white rocks, in a stark white tank is in no way a healthy system.

Theres a difference between a healthy amount of algae, and a plague.
+1

sounds like OP needs new friends!!

Mothers Day Lol GIF by reactionseditor

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BroccoliFarmer @homer1475 so are you guys saying it is ok to have GHA and still put SPS in the system as long as we're working towards fixing the GHA issue?

The only reason I'm doubting myself is because SPS prefer clean pristine water unlike LPS or softies. And not to mention, the pictures of your SPS tanks are... Amazing, no Algae whatsoever.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BroccoliFarmer @homer1475 so are you guys saying it is ok to have GHA and still put SPS in the system as long as we're working towards fixing the GHA issue?
If you have an infestation of GHA, you probably have a nutrient control issue which means you should hold off on SPS. If you have a patch here and there that the clean up crew has just not gotten to then you are fine

the question YOU have to ask yourself is have you been able to control you tank parameters in a tight range yet. Once you can say yes to that, you are ready for SPS

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the issue.

Is it a few small spots, or is it a plague?

I'll say it again....

a system devoid of algae is not a healthy system. Is the ocean devoid of algae? NO

The ocean uses algae as a way to maintain the low nutrients found in the ocean. Same thing your tank is doing.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ocean uses algae as a way to maintain the low nutrients found in the ocean. Same thing your tank is doing.

you made that up to stand tall on your soapbox. Flat out invented and made up.

let’s see outbound work, links, of gha challenge tanks you managed for others. Show where you turned a problem into a balance I’m not seeing specific steps you’re listing to prevent takeover

that ambiguity nearly always means there’s no work links we get to see that use specifics

because owning a reef at home vs compiling work balances in others reefs in their homes are two different things, and algae control / balance isn’t the same between the two. Let’s see some jobs you did

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potato

Ive been following your builds and posts for a good three straight years now

remember the 20 page thread on your tanks cyano

see how these invasions alternate vs just stop, that’s so key especially in your presentation especially if water dosing of meds and param adjustments are the selected means.

being free of invasion cycling is needed, so you can just enjoy the setup and do consistent care on it vs reactive changes based on invasions. It doesn’t do you any good if killing off one invasion by changing params simply brings in another ten month challenge.

I notice you aren’t getting any hands off + enjoyment time, it seems you’re having to always adjust to a new invasion. I can’t think of a better tank for Homer to manage live time than yours, to stop the succession.

Homer let’s make this an outbound job for you, it’ll count as linkable work for future help requests.

Potato can you post a pic of your reef pls

Homer please take the stated params and the upcoming pics and be that friend of his who knows how to run others reef tanks, live time.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The only reason I'm doubting myself is because SPS prefer clean pristine water unlike LPS or softies. And not to mention, the pictures of your SPS tanks are... Amazing, no Algae whatsoever.
Think of a reef like the Serengeti. There's ton of grass everywhere to keep that grass in check you need a lot of herbivores. A ree tank is the same way. A healthy reef needs algea there's just a ton of herbivores. Your reef is the same way. A little algea is good for the tank just no overrunning it. Hence the need for refugiums, algea scrubbers or a heck of a lot of snails and other critters to eat the algea. Just my thoughts

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres a ton of us who have sps and have algae present in our tanks. That sounds like terrible advice. I understand where it is rooted, but still bad advice non the less.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back