If you could choose ONE freshwater fish that could magically live in your reef - which would you pick?

MillennialReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for fun! - all hypothetical - do not try this! lol

Like many reefers, I started keeping freshwater fish, from planted tanks, cichlids and discuss then naturally evolved into reefing. However, due to space and my personal life I only have time to maintain one system and that is my reef. There are times I wish I could also keep a large freshwater system but in reality It wouldn't go well long term. There are so many fish that I sometimes wish were saltwater species so I can keep in my reef (excluding mollies or some brackish species). So the question also the title. If you could keep one freshwater fish in your reef, which one would it be?

Mine is a black ghost knife fish - thinking how cool it would be swimming amongst the corals with the color contrast - its a fantasy I know!

Anyone have a similar fantasy?

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a, I don't know, 10 or 15 gallon planted tank with a betta and eventually a pleco. I couldn't figure out why the tank was getting so dirty, then I realized it was the pleco.
most plecos also get enormous outside of a few species. Some even bigger than this
1650567729706.png

Upvote 0

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sharkbait19 Be careful, if you mention Glofish too often, that one freshwater guy who is on this forum will appear and curse you with duckweed. Even in a reef tank. Nobody is safe. In all seriousness, while it doesn't directly harm the fish, making Glofish leads to many people seeing them almost as toys and buying them for kids, which only ends one way. If saltwater people start keeping GloMollies, then it is only a matter of time before we see GloTangs, and I think we can all agree that that would be an atrocious thing in a reef tank.

Upvote 0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sharkbait19 Be careful, if you mention Glofish too often, that one freshwater guy who is on this forum will appear and curse you with duckweed. Even in a reef tank. Nobody is safe. In all seriousness, while it doesn't directly harm the fish, making Glofish leads to many people seeing them almost as toys and buying them for kids, which only ends one way. If saltwater people start keeping GloMollies, then it is only a matter of time before we see GloTangs, and I think we can all agree that that would be an atrocious thing in a reef tank.
Good point. Last thing we need is “why is my glow in the dark dory dying. I just put it in my bowl with my glow betta who is very happy…”
Don’t worry…I’m already cursed with duckweed!
Glo fish are an amazing aspect of modern biotechnology, but honestly should be limited to those that understand both that and proper fishkeeping.

Upvote 0

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Like many reefers, I started keeping freshwater fish, from planted tanks, cichlids and discuss then naturally evolved into reefing. However, due to space and my personal life I only have time to maintain one system and that is my reef. There are times I wish I could also keep a large freshwater system but in reality It wouldn't go well long term. There are so many fish that I sometimes wish were saltwater species so I can keep in my reef (excluding mollies or some brackish species). So the question also the title. If you could keep one freshwater fish in your reef, which one would it be?

Mine is a black ghost knife fish - thinking how cool it would be swimming amongst the corals with the color contrast - its a fantasy I know!

I would choose a Dalmation Molly

Upvote 0

bxclent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I believe I saw one at my LFS a few months ago ! It was beautiful, but expensive.

Upvote 0

Fishyfishyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Zebra pleco

Upvote 0

Firepony

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got these freshwater (brackish water) black tip sharks, for $8, but in Saltwater. What a trip to see and watch tho lolol they get along with all my other fish too :)

Attachments

• IMG_20220521_081540.jpg
    IMG_20220521_081540.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20220521_081501.jpg
    IMG_20220521_081501.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 40
Upvote 0

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yellow Cichlid's. I lost all mine to Malawi bloat before I could get medication. All because of an employee recommending the wrong food at my lfs. They were all tank breed and don't have it in me to repeat it. Thinking about converting it to an open concept reef tank which would bring me to 3

Upvote 0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back