If you could do it again, what would you change with your reefer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

MrAlpha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I’m about to switch over my 90 gal to a RS Reefer 450. It seems that that Red Sea thought of everything with these tanks but I’m curious, If you could do it over what would you do different with how you set up your tank?

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're kinda undersized, their ATO is laughably small (need to refill every other day or so), and their return/drains are the same size from the 170 to the 650xxl if what I read in another thread is true... still a decent package overall...

OP
OP
MrAlpha

MrAlpha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 450 the sump already takes up the entire left side of the stand. Unless you are doing a custom stand I don’t see how you can make it any larger. Yes the ATO is tiny but I already have a external ATO reservoir I’ll be using and plan to do the ATO Refugium Mod down the line.

OP
OP
MrAlpha

MrAlpha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I hate to do it but I really think I’m going to do some type of screen top for it. I like wrasses and plan to add more. Anyone else using something out there that doesn’t distract too much from the look of the rimless?

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea reefer 250. If I could do it all over I would
Choose a tank of same dimensions with standard holes
Drilled made by a tank manufacturer. I don’t like the fact that I have to use their plumbing pipes. When I first got the tank I had a leak that couldn’t be fixed. they had to send me a new fitting. I also don’t like how small the sump is.

Davisma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The newer red sea tanks seem a bit improved from the past years. The sumps and ATOs become very annoying though. The plumbing is also real crap, especially the gate valve--so spongy and annoying, which is pretty ironic considering their "silent overflow" system relies on the valve, yet you have to adjust it quite often after water changes, etc. Not impressed at all with Red Sea tanks. The upgrades you would eventually want to do to the system will probably lead you to changing out the sump and plumbing, rendering the whole allure of the red sea system null. I also find the silicon very brittle compared to other manufacturers.

I would definitely recommend piecing something together or getting a reasonably priced custom setup from someone like planet aquariums or others. For the price of the red sea tanks I think there are definitely better options.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 41.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back