If you could live anywhere in the U.S.

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grew up in Minnesota, I loved the fall and spring and didn't mind the winters too much but summers suck.

Next lived in San Jose for 35 years and mostly enjoyed it but the silly gun laws and the government in general and the cost of housing was simply silly. We sold our house for $540.00 a sq ft!!!

Which brings us to Utah which has been very enjoyable. So Utah gets my vote. It helps the house we bought had an unfinished basement that now has a fish room and spot for a 200 gallon tank. Oh and our grandson!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if we can put racing slicks on those things and maybe take out the electric motor and add a Hemi. :rolleyes:

Here is the view from the back of my new house (almost) that I didn't move into yet. I say almost because I have to walk about 100 yards or stand on my roof to see it clearly. 27 miles out is Connecticut and if you look to the right, and maybe squint, you can see France. Or maybe the shadow of France. OK, you can't see France, :cool:

Paul, look again! I think I see a "super model" on that boat! Lol

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
St Augustine, Florida. Beautiful town, white sugar sand beaches, boating, deep sea fishing, awesome intercostal fishing, stunning sun rises and sets, reasonably affordable housing, great school systems, reef stores all over the place, WWC 1.5 hour drive, Disney, seafood, JAX is a 35-40 min drive. Great place .... EXCEPT FOR THE GIANT HURRICANE THATS ABOUT TO EAT US ALL.

Grass is always greener on the other side ;)

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grew up in Minnesota, I loved the fall and spring and didn't mind the winters too much but summers suck.

Next lived in San Jose for 35 years and mostly enjoyed it but the silly gun laws and the government in general and the cost of housing was simply silly. We sold our house for $540.00 a sq ft!!!

Which brings us to Utah which has been very enjoyable. So Utah gets my vote. It helps the house we bought had an unfinished basement that now has a fish room and spot for a 200 gallon tank. Oh and our grandson!
Pretty sure you didn't pay $540 a sq ft for it either!

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically, pay $250-300k for a 4 bedroom, 2+ bathroom home with a 2 car garage. 1,800+ sq ft.

And yes, I know I just eliminated the entire west coast. And probably most of the east coast as well. ;)

I'd be OK living in the SE U.S. somewhere, but would be open to other affordable options as well. :)
Texas[emoji41][emoji91]

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait what's your current status? You've got 12 pages of people telling you where to live, you got to at least tell us what you're going with!

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait what's your current status? You've got 12 pages of people telling you where to live, you got to at least tell us what you're going with!

We've decided to try for Navarre FL. It would be cool to live by the beach for a year or two (or perhaps much longer). But we don't feel comfortable buying there (lack of employment opportunities), so we will focus on trying to rent a house. We are slowly making our way back down to begin looking. The kicker is I will need permission to have buku tanks inside the home, and a prospective landlord may not be cool with that. We do have this one house on our radar which has two workshops in the backyard, so that may work with the aquariums.

If we are forced to buy, it's going to have to be a big city like Nashville or Kansas City. I can always work remotely no matter where I am, but my wife would probably need to be within driving distance of another employer if she were to ever be laid off. So, we're hoping to have our cake and eat it too, but we'll do the smart/sensible thing if we're forced to.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course you moved to the wrong city! There is no way I would put up with that traffic! Too congested, I am not sure how Ty does it?

It was the cost of real estate, more than anything else, that drove us out of Austin. I would rather buy a house in California, and be close to wholesalers, than shell out that kind of money to live in hot Texas. :p

In Houston you get more bang for your buck and we really liked some houses we saw, but I guess in retrospect it was good that we didn't move there.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet you could get some bargains right now! maybe with some slight water damage...

Where we were looking to buy did get flooded, I believe. Of course, the same thing could happen to us in Navarre which is another reason to rent the way I see it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back