If you could live anywhere in the U.S.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greenville Sout Caroline! I had a conference there for work once and it was one of the coolest downtown areas, and from what I could gather very affordable.
Ya, great town. We drove up there last fall and stayed at the Westin. We used it as a jump off point to find the day to day best spot to watch the autumn leaves change. Great town, great food and absolutely beautiful.

Wazzel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have a town or state picked out, but it would need the following requirements.

Small enough to feel friendly, but big enough to have all the things you need to live and close enough to a big city to be able to do the once in awhile things with out a big issue.
Have seasons without brutal summers or winters.
Be in reasonable distance to a college or university.
Have a community band.
Have some topography other than flat, without it being sever.
Reasonable cost of living, but does not have to be cheap.
Have access to outdoor stuff (hiking, camping, etc) and be friendly to cyclist.

Ruston, LA and Columbia, SC are two examples of the types of places I would like to live.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a web designer by trade, and can do other geeky tech stuff. :D Mostly hardware, but I'm pretty good with databases as well.

Other than that, I've become very one dimensional (fish diseases) at this stage in my life. I do enjoy flying over to Europe once or twice a year to see the beautiful architecture. I can just walk for hours & hours all over London or Paris, eat street food, and be completely happy. Maybe visit a few museums while we're there.

I also love NFL football (can watch all day Sunday) and wrestling (Monday Night Raw). Yup, I'm one weird dude. :p

Knoxville seems to cover all the bases, hosting RAW and plenty of tech employment. And titans games an hour away.

Not as crazy busy as Nashville, with access to an air port with McGhee Tyson. I work in an area lfs, and our shipments come in fine (pre hurricane anyway)

Affordable, friendly(both hobby and employment), and soul food!

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knoxville seems to cover all the bases, hosting RAW and plenty of tech employment. And titans games an hour away.

Not as crazy busy as Nashville, with access to an air port with McGhee Tyson. I work in an area lfs, and our shipments come in fine (pre hurricane anyway)

Affordable, friendly(both hobby and employment), and soul food!

I actually liked Knoxville a lot (bbq food everywhere, hiking in the Smoky Mountains), but wife shot it down. :(

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I lived in NO, I would gain so much weight! I gained 10 lbs just during MACNA 2017, and my trip was cut short due to Harvey. My old SQ. D Rep Duane Neusome was a LA TECH Alumni , a good guy.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool Humble fish, Come to Florida !
Looking for a house to rent in Navarre, but striking out thus far. Apparently all the military folks transferring here will just rent a house over the Internet, sight unseen. I guess I'm a little old fashioned for that... I need to actually see/smell a house first before I can decide whether or not I wanna live in it. :p

We're going over to Ft. Walton Beach next week to look there before moving on to Plan B.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am La Tech alumni also. My time there was enjoyable and I would consider that a retirement location.

Have you been there lately? The place has been growing the last few years. Lots of new neighborhoods. Looks like homes are $150/sq ft or more. Not sure where the people are working or where the money is coming from. Shreveport/Bossier is supposedly shrinking so maybe they are all moving to Ruston.

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chattanooga, TN beats Knoxville, and puts you 2 hours from Atlanta/Knoxville/Nashville with a decent airport that flies to all three for layovers. Also helps a certain website owner lives right down the road :). Bought a 2400sqft house here for under 150k and electricity and water are super cheap.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back