If you could live anywhere in the U.S.

Griff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suburbs of Richmond Virginia. International airport, traffic is not bad at all, 1 hour from the beach. 1 hour to the mountains. It has a small town feel but is a city. If you have kids Virginia has several instate university's that are great schools. 2 hours to D.C.

Bob Bennett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Northern New Mexico is pretty beautiful, though... plus, good skiing!!!
Been trying to read posts to the end before making suggestion, still consider myself a " buckeye" , been 52 years since I lived there, Dad graduated from Ohio State when I was 5, still remember going to football games, lots of family still there. Traveled and lived all over the world and the US, but my pick to move to would be in the Albuquerque NM. are, love New Mexico, low cost of living. wide open spaces, mountains, great skiing, moved there because of a girl, I was young! Would have to work remotely, and probably only place in state to receive overnight coral and fish shipments, have to say skiing again!!!

Bob Bennett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Miami FL. You would be right on the ocean for diving, always warm weather, fair amount of fish stores. Plenty of descent paying jobs.

Although I can't complain where I'm at now. Aside from it being Wisconsin, and I need to drive forever to get to a LFS, I am almost dead nuts centered between Chicago and Milwaukee. Oh yea. I'm also driving distance from Divers den and walking distance from Adam @Battlecorals
Lived in Miami from' 83 to '96, would be perfect if one could time travel back 40 years, and take all the great LFS with you!!!

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stay right here in NEw Hampshire. The only other place I would consider is Alaska. I love the snow and the wilderness. You couldn't pay me to live in the city. TO MANY PEOPLE. No privacy.

AlyciaMarieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably Hoboken, NJ. You get the big city vibe, but without the hustle of NYC. Plus Natoli's Deli is a short drive away in Secaucus. That's one of the best places you'll ever eat!

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a trip to Clarksville-Nashville tentatively scheduled for June 4-11, weather permitting. My wife is worried about the drive (9 hours) with all the thunderstorms predicted for that day. We may delay departure until Saturday, June 10th and spend the following week in Tennessee instead. We'll continue on with our little road trip after that.

Just want to thank you all for the advice/suggestions. You've helped me immensely.

dana_rod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easton, MD. Housing is still fairly affordable, town is still small but plenty of local shopping and you can get to D.C. or Baltimore in a little over an hour

borrowedlight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Charlotte, NC could be nice. Decent suburbs, definitely more affordable than say...Virginia. I live about an hour from there. Nice size.
I'm looking at Florida myself. Probably not affordable buttt I like all the job options for someone with a biology degree. I'm thinking about outside of Tampa maybe?

edit;; saw you maybe decided on Nashville - great choice! Beautiful area. :)

a6walter1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parents have a place on Marco Island, FL. It is about 45 minutes away from SW Florida Int'l Airport and has an amazing island vibe. As long as you don't want to live right on the water, you can get a place in your price range (within walking/biking distance to the beach).

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Charlotte, NC could be nice. Decent suburbs, definitely more affordable than say...Virginia. I live about an hour from there. Nice size.
I'm looking at Florida myself. Probably not affordable buttt I like all the job options for someone with a biology degree. I'm thinking about outside of Tampa maybe?

edit;; saw you maybe decided on Nashville - great choice! Beautiful area. :)

Our planned itinerary actually mirrors a couple of your suggestions :):
  1. Clarksville - Nashville TN
  2. Knoxville TN
  3. Charlotte NC
  4. Charleston & Hilton Head SC
  5. Florida panhandle
Florida is where my wife really wants to be, but I've got some things in play in my home state (Louisiana) that might pan out while we are on the road. Just getting to this point has been the biggest roller coaster ride I've ever experienced. :p

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although, the nearby paper mills could cross SC off our list entirely.

My wife really hates the smell of paper mills. It's like an obsession. :mad:

easternreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I get that.. I do.. when I used to complain about the smell..the response was..smells like money to me. still didn't help.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

None of those here in DFW! Just say'n. ;) --- Meredith tries one more last-ditch effort to get humble to come here! lol

Hausser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stay right here in NEw Hampshire. The only other place I would consider is Alaska. I love the snow and the wilderness. You couldn't pay me to live in the city. TO MANY PEOPLE. No privacy.
You do not want to live in Alaska, just moved out 4 years ago.

Back