OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you enjoy your trip! My wife and I both love the Nashville area.

I didn't realize this until it was too late, but we actually drove right past Decatur on our way up. :( If I had planned things better we could have had lunch or something if you were available.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't realize this until it was too late, but we actually drove right past Decatur on our way up. :( If I had planned things better we could have had lunch or something if you were available.
Bummer! I'm guessing you came up I65?

I'm sure your realtor is even more upset since she won't be able to show you the house she was having built just for you. :rolleyes::D You drove a few hundred feet away from it!

http://www.valleymls.com/homes-for-sale/18-Cove-Creek-Drive-Decatur-AL-35603-204970500

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure we'll be passing through again. :D Maybe I can convince my wife to stop and give Decatur a look. ;) We spent an hour in Laurel, MS just because of some TV show...

nitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Las Vegas no state tax airport is easily accessible from anywhere in town. You gotta like heat because summers are HoT

Last edited by a moderator:

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ed, we are seriously considering a trip to Louisville either before or after Knoxville. I've heard nothing but good things. The son of a good friend of mine lives there.
Louisville is nice. Knoxville is cheaper. Hint hint.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure we'll be passing through again. :D Maybe I can convince my wife to stop and give Decatur a look. ;) We spent an hour in Laurel, MS just because of some TV show...
In all honesty I really enjoy living in Decatur. However, if given the option you have I would either end up in the Nashville area, Chattanooga, or closer to the gulf.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Louisville is nice. Knoxville is cheaper. Hint hint.

I think we're gonna visit all 3. Nashville --> Louisville --> Knoxville. In that order ;)

or closer to the gulf.
Navarre/Gulf Breeze FL will be the last leg of this trip. Because that's where we've said we always wanted to live. But seeing all these other places will provide a comparison or possibly even change our mind.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever you do, Don't move here to New York. A couple of days ago it took me two hours to go a couple of hundred yards to the Mid Town Tunnel to bring my Grand Kids home to Manhattan. It's insane. You can't drive anywhere anymore.

I could swim faster. There is nothing here, stay home. I know we get a lot of tourists, but I don't get it. :confused:

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever you do, Don't move here to New York.

But then we could finally be TOGETHER, Paul. :D

On a side note, I must say I have nothing negative to say about Clarksville, TN. Good people, clean area, affordable housing, charming downtown, beautiful scenery, etc. Wife & I even saw "lightning bugs" last night for the first time in years! Down in Louisiana, the mosquito spray truck must kill 'em all. :mad:

I also want to thank @Idoc and his wife for having dinner with us, and providing a rundown of the area. You've been most helpful, sir.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you left Nashville yet? That has one of the nicest LFSs I've been into. Can't remember the name but it was huge and clean. Also had a cool koi display. Hope you're having a great trip!

Drauka99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live close to Navarre/Gulf Breeze, nice area but Highway 98 is a parking lot most afternoons during the summer. I don't know if you will be working from home or not but traffic on 98 is a nightmare for lots of people who work in the adjacent towns.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically, pay $250-300k for a 4 bedroom, 2+ bathroom home with a 2 car garage. 1,800+ sq ft.

And yes, I know I just eliminated the entire west coast. And probably most of the east coast as well. ;)

I'd be OK living in the SE U.S. somewhere, but would be open to other affordable options as well. :)
SC... I'm 30 minutes from downtown Columbia, paid $150ish, 1850sqft, 3br, 2bth, 2 car garage, .83 acres, brick house, small workshop in the back...

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you left Nashville yet? That has one of the nicest LFSs I've been into. Can't remember the name but it was huge and clean. Also had a cool koi display. Hope you're having a great trip!

Will be checking out Nashville, Hendersonville, etc. from this day forward. Don't know if my wife will let me go into any LFS though. :p

I live close to Navarre/Gulf Breeze, nice area but Highway 98 is a parking lot most afternoons during the summer. I don't know if you will be working from home or not but traffic on 98 is a nightmare for lots of people who work in the adjacent towns.

We'll be there sometime after the 4th of July, so I'll get to see this for myself. We both work from home, but I'll need to make weekly runs to the airport and daily runs to UPS & Fedex. :eek:

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living in Cali has it's perks! Main one for you is that you can drive to the wholesaler and pick you own livestock whenever you want. Then drive home and acclimate it immediately! Living in the Inland Empire (San Bernardino County and Riverside County) might also fit within your budget. Its only 40-50 miles from LAX.

Drauka99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We'll be there sometime after the 4th of July, so I'll get to see this for myself. We both work from home, but I'll need to make weekly runs to the airport and daily runs to UPS & Fedex. :eek:

So for my birthday on the 6th you are bringing me some fish?

FedEX location is on the west side of Fort Walton. Not sure on UPS. FedEX also has a distribution center bout 45-60 miles from the area you are looking at, not sure if they allow pickups there or not.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where would it be??

Assuming you could telecommute/work remotely.

Only two requirements:
  1. It must be in an affordable area.
  2. It must be within 30-45 mins of a decent airport. I.e. I need to receive weekly livestock shipments from Los Angeles, so no more than 1 layover from there.
Spokane, WA is a great choice for flights and lots of great areas within 30-45 minutes. Many direct flights from LAX or one layover...just avoid Alaska Airlines.

Lots of housing in your price range out of the city. Nice mountians, snow skiing, hiking, mountian biking, golfing, boating, salmon fishing, hunting, lowest natural disaster area, the list goes on and on. The Pacific Northwest is the best in class in many areas.

Another advantage is I can build any holding system you want to meet both your economic needs. I have lots of designs from over 30 years of helping develop retail stores. Local supply for most of the hard goods you need from polyethelyne tanks to acrylic and glass. You also have local stores that might buy livestock from you as well as many hobbiest.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 13.3%
Back