If you could solve ONE reefing-mystery

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why the Redfield ratio is ever brought up or touted as a “cure” in this hobby. Just stop. It has zero relevance to an aquarium
That's more of a beef, not necessarily a wish...unless you're wishing people stop using the term, but I'd still put that in the beef category.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What the most critical factors are to keeping acropora successfully.

They grow like weeds for some, while others can't grow them at all. Low but existent nutrient levels? Plenty of people are growing them colorfully in high nutrients. Stable alk? Plenty of people grow them with regular alk swings. Light? Some grow them at 300 par, others 700. Tank maturity? Sure, but we haven't defined that very well and even then, some grow them in new tanks.

I'm pretty convinced there is something critical we aren't accounting for.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only caught a small bit of a recent video from brs/macna talk, might have been rich Ross. But he said that papers he was sent from researchers stated there were no reproductive materials in the bubbles. So he pops them all

He's said this before, and I think I've heard him referencing a source, but not sure where. He did post it, see below.

They spore thing is an old reefers tale.

Just remove/pop and scrape them with tweezers.
They reproduce by growing new bubbles from their 'roots' not from anything in the bubble. Pop them all you want, that isn't what spreads them.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back