If you could solve ONE reefing-mystery

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why can't every fish leave in peace together.
This one's already pretty much solved: just give them enough space, like an ocean's-worth!
In our aquariums, aggression is likely stemming from restricted/overlapping territory that makes the fish perceive competition for resources since we cannot tell the fish that we can provide an over-abundance of food so there is no worry of competition!

Now, if we could solve the mystery of how to communicate with or talk to our fish and they could understand, that would be a great help to our systems!
"You just stay in your corner and don't bite or chase tank mates and I will give you all the food you need!"

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one's already pretty much solved: just give them enough space, like an ocean's-worth!
In our aquariums, aggression is likely stemming from restricted/overlapping territory that makes the fish perceive competition for resources since we cannot tell the fish that we can provide an over-abundance of food so there is no worry of competition!

Now, if we could solve the mystery of how to communicate with or talk to our fish and they could understand, that would be a great help to our systems!
"You just stay in your corner and don't bite or chase tank mates and I will give you all the food you need!"

Also that we keep fish from all over the world that may overlap in their relative niche and that they are all being forced into a tiny box.

Tlledsmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to kill aptaisia without killing anything else. Just a bottle of liquid and dump it in.

I would be a billionaire.
Remove rock, burn every dang one with a solder iron (be careful as the rock may explode) reinstall rock.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious about the relationship between alk and par, and it’s effect on coral growth and coloration.

Also, knowing more about the biome would be great. What kind of diversity and populations yield a “healthy” tank.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do they call it a one spot fox face when it has a spot on each side? Isn't that a two spot fox face? Am I missing something? Do people only have one ear? Does a straw have two holes, one hole, or no holes?

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do they call it a one spot fox face when it has a spot on each side? Isn't that a two spot fox face? Am I missing something? Do people only have one ear? Does a straw have two holes, one hole, or no holes?
Hmm... come to think of it, I've only ever seen the one spot at any given time on any of my Siganus unimaculatus, so maybe there is only one spot and the spot just jumps from one side to the other when they turn around?!? ...or its one spot that goes clear through the body?!?

Also, as you use a drinking straw, is the liquid actually inside the straw, or is it still on the outside of the straw? I've had long, similar discussions with my brothers that go deep into philosophical concepts... yes, we don't fit the majority "normal"!

On a related note, did you know mammals only have hair on one side?

...the outside.
:p

Oops, this seems to be a different track than intended on this thread, so I'll see myself out until I come up with something more relevant. :)

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would fix why my nitrates keep jumping to 75+ppm every 2 days when i don't have fish don't feed the tank its like a never ending battle i have to do water changes every 2 days to get them to 50 then they jump back up 2 days later

Topekoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many things we don’t have the answer to in the reefing hobby. We need more studies for answers, which can be limited in time, money, and even knowledge.

However, if I could grant you one wish: you could have the definitive answer to any mystery pertaining to the hobby, but the condition is that you can only solve ONE mystery...

What would you solve?
Why my tank doesn't get me laid? :p

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm... come to think of it, I've only ever seen the one spot at any given time on any of my Siganus unimaculatus, so maybe there is only one spot and the spot just jumps from one side to the other when they turn around?!? ...or its one spot that goes clear through the body?!?

Also, as you use a drinking straw, is the liquid actually inside the straw, or is it still on the outside of the straw? I've had long, similar discussions with my brothers that go deep into philosophical concepts... yes, we don't fit the majority "normal"!

On a related note, did you know mammals only have hair on one side?

...the outside.
:p

Oops, this seems to be a different track than intended on this thread, so I'll see myself out until I come up with something more relevant. :)
Your "wrasse" photo was my inspiration for my question.

John1966

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New rule: You can say more than 1, because I find this topic very interesting.

Here’s one answer I wish I had:

I wish I knew the exact cause of dinoflagellates and cyano. What causes them in some tanks and not in others? Nobody knows 100%.
50 questions in one! One answer for your tank, different answer for next tank.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back