If you get a nice deal from someone, do you think they are stupid?

kapnkush608

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is what it is. Sometimes they need to tap for the cash or out of frustration. I never think someone's dumb for giving me a great deal. If I buy a shutdown I always offer to give them some frags if they decide to start up again. I also usually throw in some frags depending on the amount of money they spend at me / skill level they are at. I also offer to hold frags until they are ready for them if they spend over 200. Sometimes I just have so much fish stuff laying around it's worth it to sell at a little bit of a lower price point just so the old lady stops nagging me lol. I hope they don't feel like a sucker and I never treat them like they are. I also hope that whatever money they get goes towards something that brings them joy.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been buying and selling tons of stuff not just aquarium equipment and I never think someone is stupid. You never know what their financial situation is. They know what they paid and they know what they are selling for. They may have a goal or an emergency. Who am I to judge.

NinnJinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got back into the hobby, I found a guy on craigslist that was selling pretty much a ready to go 125 gallon set up (refugium and home made stand included) minus lights and live stock for $450. The only catch was, I had to help him drain the tank and help tear down.

I didn't think he was stupid. But I couldn't phantom turning around and selling it for that cheap....

I guess my problem would be the same problem I have always had in life.... I am wanting out of a hobby and see someone that could benefit from cheap prices to get started only for them to flip it for a higher price and hear later that the buyer called me a dumb *** behind my back to others for selling so cheap and how he almost doubled his money by selling it.

So because of that, I have a bunch of stuff now turned into worthless junk that I have kept over the years just so I didn't get burned and called a Dumb ***

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no issue in selling something for cheap, especially if I got if for cheap as well. I bought items that should cost $500+ for $100, and sold for same price as I paid. With that said, 1 thing I absolutely hate is when I do sell something for really cheap to someone, and then see that same person try to flip it for what item should cost, and make money off my good intentions. That irks me to no end.

Salt_Creep

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, some people just care a less or more than others. If I have things that I am flat out not using, I tend to just give them away for free, or at steep discount if its a more expensive item. I got a trigger 39 sump from a guy that had never been used for $200, and got two nice ReefKoi bounce for $75. so that's awesome. but I know a lot of people that want to get what they paid back, which is fine to. To each their own.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nope,
ive gotten really good deals on stuff, and I've given other people really good deals on stuff.
I’ve also sold nice equipment at very good prices, as long as someone can use it, I don’t feel stupid. After all I wasn’t using it anymore. For example the ‘reefer special’, new items were free just pay the shipping. It was Red Sea products I wasn’t using, someone using those items gained.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best deal of 2019 was just before summer when I got a Cyclone CY-3 Chiller 1/4hp for $240 with a dual controller. The unit looked almost new. I think the guy used it in a tank for maybe 3 months and then ditched the Tank and was left with the chiller. The normal selling price is $1000. So that was one heck of a deal for me. I think the guy could not have cared less, he just wanted it out of his garage.

raketemensch

Ape That Likes Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up:

2x Danner Supreme model 7
2x Minijet 606 pump
1x koralia nano
2x Maxi-jet 1200
1x Marineland Penguin 550

1x Reef Octopus 250-int (no pump, and needed a little repair)
1x Coralife super skimmer 65
1x bak pak 2 HOB skimmer
1x Eshopps pf-300 overflow box

1x homemade 25G sump with bioballs/mech filter/bio rings

...for $40.

The guy who hooked me up was very nice, we hung out for a while and he told me all the cool stuff he'd kept over the years, and that he'd just moved to a smaller apartment and wanted everything out of the way.

I've been keeping him up to date on my progress (I'm just starting out), even though it was a random Facebook Marketplace transaction. Very nice, smart guy who helped me out a lot.

GoGo98102

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if it’s the area you live in, the skimmer you sold ($300 sounds really cheap to begin with. Is it a Chinese company like CoralBox?), or just my own experience... but a $300 used item sold for $200 is just alright. Not that big of a bargain. Unless it’s a really big name popular item (Radion, AI Hydra, MP40...), you would be lucky to even get half of what you paid for. Just my experience.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It depends on the item, how fast you need to sell it or no hurry to sell that factors your pricing but in no way , it makes you stupid, dumb, etc.
We expect to some degree to take a loss but not giving it away in a fashion of speaking.

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel good about offering others a good duel it's just that the same people always respond to WTS offers immediately trying to make a buck, they are flipping. I actually seek people out and offer a low price to someone who I know will use it and not just sell it for more. :)

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No absolutely no. I got an amazing once in a lifetime deal on a used apex and 4 kessil a360s and I am nothing but thankful for the sellers generosity! It was that transaction that allowed me to splurge a little and buy a name brand sump that was rather pricey.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at all. I sold a 180 for $200 to a local reefer that I had for sale at $500. I try to help as much as I can when I can. Good guy that practically gives coral away.

Chukthunder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah man sometimes you gotta take that loss and move on. The real idiot is the person that keeps that skimmer till it becomes worthless and never uses it.

What you don't use but want clean and put away.

What you don't use or want, sell.

What you can't sell donate.

What you can't donate, recycle.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 24 49.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 25 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • None.

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.1%
Back