If you had to replace your return pump tomorrow, what would you get?

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My return pump is already great, so I would just the same (Reef Octopus VarioS 4).

Though, I do have some weird drain issues and I'm constantly fiddling with my Red Sea Reefer's drain valve. I wonder if it has to do with the variability in a DC motor, or if this drain just sucks.

Ultimately, I would plumb a sump into another room, and have a loud, but extremely functional, external return pump or something.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPS units like the ones used for computers/servers/etc have already been proven as inefficient because of their upconverting losses. They are not useless but they won't run as long as most people believe.
I have run mine without issues for more than an hour. Right now they are a temporary solution until my generator comes online (typically 13 seconds).

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an old iwaki in my garage im safe keeping! Lol
I might sell it. I need to do a reef garage sale. Lol
D

Attachments

• 20210407_125532.jpg
    20210407_125532.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 14

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have run mine without issues for more than an hour. Right now they are a temporary solution until my generator comes online (typically 13 seconds).

I use them in same capacity - have 2 units dedicated to the tank.

It would take me far longer than 13 seconds to drag my generator and get everything connected though but that gives me an hour plus.

My post above is meant to tell people who think these UPS units will run for hours and hours - they will not.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My post above is meant to tell people who think these UPS units will run for hours and hours - they will not.
Agreed you have to know what you are powering. before my auto switchover I used my APEX to shut everything but 1 return pump and 1 vortech. Then the generator was manually connected and everything came back. Lasted plenty long.

Also I would never run a tank with a battery UPS for the power. First they do smooth out power delivery but additionally they stop the flicker that is brown outs. Once again the NJ power grid sucks and the constant on./off that can happen is terrible for any electronics.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

Also I would never run a tank with a battery UPS for the power. First they do smooth out power delivery but additionally they stop the flicker that is brown outs. Once again the NJ power grid sucks and the constant on./off that can happen is terrible for any electronics.

I think you meant without there.....and I agree.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back