If You Knew What You Know Now, What Would You Have Done Differently?

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some things I’ve learned that work for me:

I’m not sure it’s fair to say but I realize now this is an expensive hobby. I tried for so long to DIY and be clever. I enjoy it but it became tedious. I didn’t really start to enjoy my tanks until I was able to just buy what I needed. Great equipment costs money but I enjoy my tanks so much more now that I have an Apex, Trident, reliable pumps, DOS pumps, Kessils, Radions, etc.

don’t get me wrong, I just DIY’d a pink mini fridge dosing system for coral food (pink was on sale) but these fun stupid side projects are purely optional vs picking lenses out of the tank because the glue didn’t hold or resoldering LEDS on a DIY heat sink controlled by an Arduino.

I spent so long asking my wife for this or that and pinching so many pennies that I constantly felt like I was just trying to hold things together.

Think about your life and time before making decisions. I have this little 10g IM nuvo with a DC return pump, heater, ATO, and a Kessil a160. Some days it brings me more joy than my DT (which is recovering from an ALK overdose and just cost me $3k in new lights because my Kessils pooped the bed). Small can be functional and great.

Live Rock harvested (sustainably). It’s the best kept secret (maybe it’s not a secret anymore?). It’s not that expensive and I have a cycled tank ready for corals and fish in about 2 weeks. I started my display tank with dry rock + seeded rock from the pet store after finding a Eunice Worm in a tank with LR from the gulf. It took 3-4 months for the tank to run through its ugly phases. My 10g took 3 weeks of diatoms, Cyano, hair, then pristine.

Fish+Coral= problems. I think fish are integral but I’ve had fully stocked tanks and lightly stocked tanks and I prefer the latter. Get your movement from LPS and anemones and a couple fish that have personality (maybe some function?) and make you happy.

backup equipment: If you can’t afford two, you can’t afford one. This relates to heaters, pumps, power heads (or power head replacement parts). I also like to keep extra DOS heads on hand. My backup return is a Jebao and my main is a COR but if there’s a problem the Jebao will keep things going until the new COR arrives.

automatic water changes: I think this helped a lot at first but honestly I don’t believe water changes are necessary (except for cataclysmic events) after about 12-18 months. I haven’t changed the water in my 10g tank in 6 months and I am ramping down my DT to < 5%/week and plan on going to 0 . If you’re doing an AWC system with dosing pumps: use a prefilter on BOTH lines.

RODI: You need it.

Always have 20% of your total water volume on hand premixed and ready to go.

Dont buy fish that will outgrow your tank. They grow up faster than you think.

Stability > chasing parameters

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd rather have the biodiversity that comes with it. Also don't mind skipping the whole maturing process. I'd get a mix of KP and gulfliverock instead.

so true. I got a Eunice worm in my last batch of gulf live rock so I went dry/seeded in my display tank. Months of ups and downs before it stabilized. My 10g was 100% gulf live rock and the ugly phase cleared up in weeks. The stuff works miracles for starting new tanks and stabilizing older ones.

PanhandleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't change a thing. Yup I made a lot of mistakes, endured a lot of frustration and waisted a lot of money. It's all part of the journey so enjoy the ride. Need failure to appreciate success.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some things I’ve learned that work for me:

I’m not sure it’s fair to say but I realize now this is an expensive hobby. I tried for so long to DIY and be clever. I enjoy it but it became tedious. I didn’t really start to enjoy my tanks until I was able to just buy what I needed. Great equipment costs money but I enjoy my tanks so much more now that I have an Apex, Trident, reliable pumps, DOS pumps, Kessils, Radions, etc.

don’t get me wrong, I just DIY’d a pink mini fridge dosing system for coral food (pink was on sale) but these fun stupid side projects are purely optional vs picking lenses out of the tank because the glue didn’t hold or resoldering LEDS on a DIY heat sink controlled by an Arduino.

I spent so long asking my wife for this or that and pinching so many pennies that I constantly felt like I was just trying to hold things together.

Think about your life and time before making decisions. I have this little 10g IM nuvo with a DC return pump, heater, ATO, and a Kessil a160. Some days it brings me more joy than my DT (which is recovering from an ALK overdose and just cost me $3k in new lights because my Kessils pooped the bed). Small can be functional and great.

Live Rock harvested (sustainably). It’s the best kept secret (maybe it’s not a secret anymore?). It’s not that expensive and I have a cycled tank ready for corals and fish in about 2 weeks. I started my display tank with dry rock + seeded rock from the pet store after finding a Eunice Worm in a tank with LR from the gulf. It took 3-4 months for the tank to run through its ugly phases. My 10g took 3 weeks of diatoms, Cyano, hair, then pristine.

Fish+Coral= problems. I think fish are integral but I’ve had fully stocked tanks and lightly stocked tanks and I prefer the latter. Get your movement from LPS and anemones and a couple fish that have personality (maybe some function?) and make you happy.

backup equipment: If you can’t afford two, you can’t afford one. This relates to heaters, pumps, power heads (or power head replacement parts). I also like to keep extra DOS heads on hand. My backup return is a Jebao and my main is a COR but if there’s a problem the Jebao will keep things going until the new COR arrives.

automatic water changes: I think this helped a lot at first but honestly I don’t believe water changes are necessary (except for cataclysmic events) after about 12-18 months. I haven’t changed the water in my 10g tank in 6 months and I am ramping down my DT to < 5%/week and plan on going to 0 . If you’re doing an AWC system with dosing pumps: use a prefilter on BOTH lines.

RODI: You need it.

Always have 20% of your total water volume on hand premixed and ready to go.

Dont buy fish that will outgrow your tank. They grow up faster than you think.

Stability > chasing parameters
Excellent post with a lot of wise advice!

Thank you for posting - you have me rethinking certain things!

DocPalmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so true. I got a Eunice worm in my last batch of gulf live rock so I went dry/seeded in my display tank. Months of ups and downs before it stabilized. My 10g was 100% gulf live rock and the ugly phase cleared up in weeks. The stuff works miracles for starting new tanks and stabilizing older ones.
Just another testimony for live rock!!

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't change a thing. Yup I made a lot of mistakes, endured a lot of frustration and waisted a lot of money. It's all part of the journey so enjoy the ride. Need failure to appreciate success.
Another great post - helped me appreciate and enjoy my aquarium more!

You make me realize 2 things:

1) Mistakes are part of life but the smart people learn from them and helps with success
2) Enjoy the journey

DocPalmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another great post - helped me appreciate and enjoy my aquarium more!

You make me realize 2 things:

1) Mistakes are part of life but the smart people learn from them and helps with success
2) Enjoy the journey
Your positivity is contagious!

rgulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After oh, the past 40-50 years of doing this, I probably would have bought a nice Ferrari by now. When I learned how much we were paying for horse boarding at the stables (not to mention all the associated costs), that would have added a second one to the driveway...:oops:
But I do love the reef as it is now... :)
Cheers,
Ray :cool:

ou12004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely get a bigger tank 100g just fills up to fast and I am constantly having to frag corals to keep the wars to a minimum.

I would never have added an encrusting Montipora to the main rock work, they call it warp speed montipora for a reason.

I would have predrilled all of my rock work for frag plugs, it would have saved me so much time clipping and glueing

I would have paid to have someone keep my corals when I got my floors done, I lost decade old acro colonies because a pump seized and the tank had no water movement for 24 hours

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next time I'm getting rid of the wife and kids first. Then I'll build a tank that I can put a pool floaty in.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would have thought the wife and kids would have done that!
posts cringe GIF

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 145 60.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 84 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 42 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 64 26.9%
Back