If you own a saltwater mixing station, please share your pictures & ideas?

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

bizacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1611.JPG
My set up pretty much straight forward. I have awc that pump right up from the basement into the tank

Homebrwr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LeonThePeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for highjacking - Saw this as most recent topic on the matter.

Got the thumbs up from the wife that I can commandeer the standup shower in a bedroom that's not being used to set up an RODI/Mixing station. It has one of those seating areas that's 32.75" (L) x 12"(D) and I can't remember how high off the ground it is.

So I ordered two 20G Flat Bottom Vertical Tanks: http://www.norwesco.com/_site_components/uploads/pdfs/Flat Bottom Utility/20 Gallon Flat Bottom Utility Tank PN.pdf

I planned to have them side by side to cover 30" across the seating area. And then have the RODI unit above them. Thought I'd have some fun and build the stand out of T-Slots - So I thought of doing something like this:

Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 3.59.20 PM.png
The Grey rectangle and the rectangle hanging downward is suppose to be the shower seating area.

I was a bit concerned about top-heaviness and realized that there will be times were the tanks are empty (to be filled). Then came up with something like this:
Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 3.46.50 PM.png

The tanks would nestle behind the 2"x 1" front bar - with the 1"x 1" top bar; thought the 60deg side bars would help balance the two high bars and would have two legs for additional support to prevent tip overs. Was trying to do something non-permanent to the shower.

Any thoughts on how I can improve? I can't really decide which is better for support in reference to the 2" side pieces with the 60deg bar on it. Don't know if it's better to have it on it's own side bars or to extend the bottom two pieces that sit underneath the tanks and have the verticals and the support bars attached to them?

Thanks in advance!

Honeycombz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of these are amazing going to steal some of these ideas for my water change station

Honeycombz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for highjacking - Saw this as most recent topic on the matter.

Got the thumbs up from the wife that I can commandeer the standup shower in a bedroom that's not being used to set up an RODI/Mixing station. It has one of those seating areas that's 32.75" (L) x 12"(D) and I can't remember how high off the ground it is.

So I ordered two 20G Flat Bottom Vertical Tanks: http://www.norwesco.com/_site_components/uploads/pdfs/Flat Bottom Utility/20 Gallon Flat Bottom Utility Tank PN.pdf

I planned to have them side by side to cover 30" across the seating area. And then have the RODI unit above them. Thought I'd have some fun and build the stand out of T-Slots - So I thought of doing something like this:

Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 3.59.20 PM.png
The Grey rectangle and the rectangle hanging downward is suppose to be the shower seating area.

I was a bit concerned about top-heaviness and realized that there will be times were the tanks are empty (to be filled). Then came up with something like this:
Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 3.46.50 PM.png

The tanks would nestle behind the 2"x 1" front bar - with the 1"x 1" top bar; thought the 60deg side bars would help balance the two high bars and would have two legs for additional support to prevent tip overs. Was trying to do something non-permanent to the shower.

Any thoughts on how I can improve? I can't really decide which is better for support in reference to the 2" side pieces with the 60deg bar on it. Don't know if it's better to have it on it's own side bars or to extend the bottom two pieces that sit underneath the tanks and have the verticals and the support bars attached to them?

Thanks in advance!

I would definitely add 2 more legs to that stand.

Jcm412

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a very nice setup. The only thing I don't like about those containers is that it is difficult to scrub the inside to keep them clean. Salt mixes can leave a residue and I like to give my drums a good scrubbing once a year. This video provides details on my system but there is certainly more then one way to skin this cat and I am really diggin' the setup you posted!

I really like the drums used in this video. Do you know what kind they are or where to get them?

Reef4Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new laundry room mixing station. 2 50 gallon vertical tanks in a 40x32 area. Need to get the quick release hose still. Just took some ideas from here and adapted to my situation. Tank is 30 feet away. Will be able to send RODI or salt water to tank. 6 stage RODI with booster pump. Tanks came installed with ball valve spigots.

FB5F1074-6AEC-48B5-AFA1-B9FB7495A4AF.jpeg

6479DEC1-D78A-41D9-AA14-B7FED1F5EE45.jpeg

Last edited:

krbnsol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar setup to yours @FLSharkvictim (yours is much cooler looking :) though) . The only regrets I have is that in the saltwater mixing can that I cannot get ALL of the water out of it due to the placement of the pipe. I usually end up using a different pump to get the last gallon or 2 out in order to let it dry. I guess I could let it sit there but didn't like the idea of that water sitting around.

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@krbnsol , All you need to do is buy a small pump and connect the tubing like I have in picture # 2 and a John Guest quick connect w/ a Ball Valve and that will solve your problem. I have a Neptune DOS hooked up to mine with a super long Acrylic rod that almost touches the bottom of my saltwater container.
I mean your always going to have a little water in there which will not hurt anything if you went with the NSF Storage Containers like I have in the pictures.My set up I think was close to 600.00 bucks give or take but let me tell you it's worth every single dam penny. TRUST ME from a guy that has been in the industry for over 25 years.

Where my Neptune DOS add the New Salt Water to my sump.
IMG_5793.JPG

John Guest and a Ball Valve that I use to suck the remainder of the water out of my containers that is hooked up to my Pnump
IMG_6001.JPG

My 50 gallon Storage containers for Automated water changes
IMG_5999.JPG

Last edited:

jetski0602

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32 gallon Brute that I use to mix my saltwater in. I keep it in my garage and fill days before each water change. My only problem is that my water temp since I live in Hot Texas is at 95 degrees..

I have no other place to mix all the water I need, How do I cool my water down to 78 degrees for my water change?

jwalker314

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two stations. The one with white barrels I consider version 1 and the blue barrels version 2. Version 2 also has an Avast Marine Barrel tender to make sure the freshwater barrel stays full. I have a small retail store on the 1st floor, which is where the blue barrel station is located. The white barrels are in the basement and used for the growout and basement system.

20180220_071516.jpg
20180310_113300.jpg

m0zz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone in the central Florida area, Sprayer Depot in Orlando, has a lot of vertical and horizontal poly tanks on stock.

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my setup. Water goes from the RODI unit on the wall, directly into a 35 gallon fresh water tank that sits about 6' off the floor on a stand above my frag tank (20 long).

fresh water tank by choerenz, on Flickr

This tank serves 3 purposes. First, it supplies the display with RODI top off water. I put the tank as close to the ceiling as I could and the small Tunze pump can push the water about 6' up into the sump located directly above this room. The water enters the sump via a Kalk dispenser container that is located in the refugium section of my sump.

Second, it supplies the 20 gallon frag tank directly beneath it with RODI top off, delivered via a float switch. And finally, I can turn a ball valve and fill my salt water mixing tank, or fill small containers via another ball valve attachment to the plumbing leading to the mixing station.

water refill area by choerenz, on Flickr

From the bulkhead of the 35 gallon fresh water water tank, the plumbing runs to a spout just above the first of the two tanks on the left side of the room.

water storage tanks by choerenz, on Flickr

The tank on the left is a 25 gallon tank for mixing salt. I can then fill the tank on the right (55 gallon capacity) which will supply the display upstairs with salt water at about 1.5 gallons per day. I wanted to be able to mix water without affecting the stable source feeding the tank. I can add 25 gallons quickly from the RODI 35 gallon tank, leaving 10 gallons in the tank to ensure that the fresh water supply for frag and display remain unaffected.

Once I hook up the AWC via the litermeter 3, I will use the water I drain from the display to add to the frag tank. The frag tank has a nano overflow so that the water entering the 20 gallon will displace about 1.4 gallons into the sink per day. The frag tank is mainly for quarantining new frags and my hope is that the water chemistry will stay very close to the main display. This should make transfers easier once I have dipped and observed corals for some period of time.

I also set up a small fragging shelf in the room. Its a tight fit as the fish room is a small utility room off my garage, but I love that I no longer need to do any maintenance or testing in my display room. I can now test water as it it drawn down via the AWC, cut frags, etc.

fragging station by choerenz, on Flickr

Grahamstyle77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jetski0602, I am also located in Texas and my brute can and rodi is also in my garage. What I do in the summer to cool water is I take a liter or 2 liter coke bottle, remove the wrapper and fill it mostly with water. Tap water is fine. Close it and freeze it. Then once frozen I put the whole bottle in the brute. It's basically just a giant ice cube.

Last summer I changed it up and started using some of those plastic freezer packs, basically the same thing. Just a big plastic floating ice cube. Throw some of those in the brute and just wait awhile.

Those are 2 solutions that have worked for me, and looks like we will have another heater of a summer so give it a shot!

JimFuller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my station. It is a 70 over 70 gallon system. The RO/DI water is stored in the upper container. I mix salt in the lower container. It allows me to easily take care o FCC my 75 Gallon tank.
15a7a0017005f148bf0d536f8ae79104.jpg

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great ideas here, when I set mine up I will keep a lot of these setups in mind.

Richards_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the cheapest but good for saving space. Both reservoirs were advertised as 55 gallons. I'm just about finished with it, just need to add the hose adapter,and I haven't water tested it yet.
IMG_20180710_144440.jpg

IMG_20180710_152131.jpg

IMG_20180710_152226.jpg

IMG_20180710_152207.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back