If you own a saltwater mixing station, please share your pictures & ideas?

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...I dream of AWC (hands free)...I'm still a newbie and have to get this mixing station done ASAP or my head will explode and/or my wife kills me.

I 95% done finalizing my plans, but struggling with a few things...
1) Best method for circulating new SW in tank - powerhead vs external pump. pump seems like total overkill. I was thinking via timer running powerhead for 15mins every 60 mins or something
2) Quick connects:
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/barb-x-shutoff-push-lock-coupler.html
or
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/male-thread-cam-lever-quick-connect-coupling-b.html
3) how to shut off pump (in laundry room) when my DT if full - wemo remote switch or can I just turn off a ball valve on the DT side of my hose? Would that damage pump or add too much pressure to force a leak in a weak spot?

Thank you in advance.

@Headhunter - The #MaxiSa doser is set on a Automatic timer internally, I never have to touch anything except when I have make my salt water.
1st i transfer the fresh RODI water over to the salt water container either by gravity or using the Mixing pump.
Ones the fresh RODI is in the salt container I dump in my D-D salt and let my VarioS pump mix my water for about an hour or so!
Then I have it hooked up to a timer and it comes on 4 times a day for 15 minutes at a time to mix things up while my MaxiSA doer is doing water changes. I only take out 4000ml a day!

36614417_1291244701010509_6186752823401644032_o.jpg

Sonor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 26 gallon glass tanks, top salt, bottom RO/DI. In tank pumps with power strip. I thought of having switches but i felt that using plugs would make it harder to trip pumps by accident. Top salt tank runs thru closet wall to display tank and is fed by turning valve in closet for water changes. Bottom RO tank has auto fill shut off, but i usually fill manually and shut off ro system to minimize ro creep. My display system is 190 display, with 80 gallon fuge/sump, with 25 gal remote DSB tank.

20150719_164101.jpg

20151001_165551.jpg

20151001_165632.jpg

DSC01569.JPG

DSC01593.JPG

DSC01571.JPG

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I build the same one B2B did but skipped the schedule 80 valves and unions and just use a jebao pump..because.. well why not?

total cost $280. I can mix 100g at a time

Richards_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
---------------------------------------------------------
@Richards_reef- Mine were only $60.00ea with free shipping :)
That's a steal! I spent quite a while looking and the only reservoirs I could find that fit my criteria cost 600 with shipping. I was being super picky as I needed 2 containers of 50 gallons or more that could fit in a 32"x32" space. I finally found these.

Tbyram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 tanks from tractor supply company. Small valve for ATO water. Recirculating pump and hoses to pump to tank from garage.

85e0db9018719e7f3b113bc420965560.jpg

All is connected to RODI setup.

33ccd760391ea66765f7948e275ca96b.jpg

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question...

I plan on making an mixing station in my storage closet using more of the trashcan-looking containers rather than anything else. The two containers will be stacked ontop of each other with the RO/DI on the top of a stand, and the saltwater mixing beneath it. The salt container will be on rollers so that I can roll in into the correct room. This is significantly easier than trying to pump the water where it would need to go from the storage room. When I go to pump it, there will be a submersible pump in the bottom of the saltwater container.

Therefore, are there any benefits to having an external recirculation pump for the station? Or will the pumping directly from inside the salt container be sufficient? Anything I haven't considered there?

Richards_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question...

I plan on making an mixing station in my storage closet using more of the trashcan-looking containers rather than anything else. The two containers will be stacked ontop of each other with the RO/DI on the top of a stand, and the saltwater mixing beneath it. The salt container will be on rollers so that I can roll in into the correct room. This is significantly easier than trying to pump the water where it would need to go from the storage room. When I go to pump it, there will be a submersible pump in the bottom of the saltwater container.

Therefore, are there any benefits to having an external recirculation pump for the station? Or will the pumping directly from inside the salt container be sufficient? Anything I haven't considered there?
The submersible will be fine. I did that for years with a barrel on rollers.

Headhunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've received all my parts from BRS and only waiting for my 45G Ace Roto tanks to be delivered - hopefully next week.

Although I might be overthinking this - just want to make certain I understand the process (again, I’m very new to this)…How are you guys shutting off your pump when you complete the water change? In other words, I'm standing at the DT after I've pumped out 30 gallons, can I simply close the ball valve on the sump side of the hose, then walk downstairs to turn off the pump without any damage to the pump or leak? Or do I have to use some sort of remote power shut off for the pump (wemo)?

Last item I need to purchase is a 75ft hose - any suggestions? all my plumbing is 3/4". If I go with drinking water hose from Home Depot/Amazon, what are the requirements - Lead & BPA Free?

Thank you in advance!

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've received all my parts from BRS and only waiting for my 45G Ace Roto tanks to be delivered - hopefully next week.

Although I might be overthinking this - just want to make certain I understand the process (again, I’m very new to this)…How are you guys shutting off your pump when you complete the water change? In other words, I'm standing at the DT after I've pumped out 30 gallons, can I simply close the ball valve on the sump side of the hose, then walk downstairs to turn off the pump without any damage to the pump or leak? Or do I have to use some sort of remote power shut off for the pump (wemo)?

Last item I need to purchase is a 75ft hose - any suggestions? all my plumbing is 3/4". If I go with drinking water hose from Home Depot/Amazon, what are the requirements - Lead & BPA Free?

Thank you in advance!

drinking water safe hose will be sufficient. A 3/4 hose 75' will be a little spendy. You can just thread a ball valve onto the end of the hose to shut it off. Water not flowing through an impeller pump is not going to hurt it.

Headhunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
drinking water safe hose will be sufficient. A 3/4 hose 75' will be a little spendy. You can just thread a ball valve onto the end of the hose to shut it off. Water not flowing through an impeller pump is not going to hurt it.

Just to confirm I understand, as I think I'm now confused...I have a 45g mixing station tank...after removing 30g from DT, I pump 30g into DT...I can shut off ball valve on DT side of hose and pump can keep running for a few mins till I get downstairs to laundry room? I would just assume the pump would keep pumping water somewhere and I would spring a leak, no?

good call on the drinking water safe hose...I'm on it

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to confirm I understand, as I think I'm now confused...I have a 45g mixing station tank...after removing 30g from DT, I pump 30g into DT...I can shut off ball valve on DT side of hose and pump can keep running for a few mins till I get downstairs to laundry room? I would just assume the pump would keep pumping water somewhere and I would spring a leak, no?

Interested in this answer too because I just bought a $19 rf switchvyo turn pump on/off from 2 rooms away instead of putting a valve on the end

Also- I use a 25ft RV drinking water hose. Cut the brass ends off and used plastic hose barbs to connect. Works great

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was all about to buy an eb4 and hook the pump to my apex until I read this. I always thought that a closed valave with a pump turned on would stress the pump over time. This comment just saved me a few bucks, thanks. And good tip on the drinking water hose.

Headhunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bump. I can’t take the suspense.

Headhunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was all about to buy an eb4 and hook the pump to my apex until I read this. I always thought that a closed valave with a pump turned on would stress the pump over time. This comment just saved me a few bucks, thanks. And good tip on the drinking water hose.

did you test this yet?

Although I'm still awaiting the arrival on my plastic tanks; I'm going to start laying out my station this weekend. If I have time, I want to try to test the shut off valve at end of 75ft hose suggestion this weekend...see what happens.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you test this yet?

Although I'm still awaiting the arrival on my plastic tanks; I'm going to start laying out my station this weekend. If I have time, I want to try to test the shut off valve at end of 75ft hose suggestion this weekend...see what happens.

If I shut of a valve at the end of my 20 feet of 5/8 drinking water hose that refills my sump, the pump whines so bad I can hear it through a wall 20 feet away. I immediately shut it off in case of damage. I’ll be using the RF switch, not a valve , to shut down the pump

U

User1

View Badges
Can also use an Amazon dot (easy to move and turn on/off), smart outlet, and plug a pump into it. Then just tell Alexa to power on pump a, b, c, etc. Let it fill your top off container, then turn off said pump. Also use a valve at the end of the hose that way you can turn off in case Alexa decides she doesn't want to play...

U

User1

View Badges
Lol , Alexa doesn’t play nice with my Scottish accent, plus I already have the rf switch. But good idea for OP

Alexa is such $#!%!!!! Just kidding. Never really considered that though but can see the challenge she would have.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back