If you own a saltwater mixing station, please share your pictures & ideas?

Reefnoobz90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished setting this one up, rodi is mounted to the side of the stand. I originally made the stand for 2 brute containers but at the last minute went with the 55g drums. I had to get a little creative with the plumbing because of the space. It works perfect for me.

FYI the vent up top is actually just a vent cover screwed into the line (no air comes out of it). If anyone knows why it's there please let me know lol

15833826430143897602792960117088.jpg

titus'reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished setting this one up, rodi is mounted to the side of the stand. I originally made the stand for 2 brute containers but at the last minute went with the 55g drums. I had to get a little creative with the plumbing because of the space. It works perfect for me.

FYI the vent up top is actually just a vent cover screwed into the line (no air comes out of it). If anyone knows why it's there please let me know lol

15833826430143897602792960117088.jpg
Did you use uniseals or bulkheads for the bottom? If bulkheads, what kind? Thanks

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought two 35 gallon containers to start on my station last night. I have an Apex DOS to setup AWC's. Now I have to figure out the actual logistics of where to put the station and how to plumb it.

The hot water heater is in the left corner. I plan on plumbing the rodi unit from the input there and attaching the RODI unit to the wall. I also plan to set up some shelving units where that metal rack currently is to hold the containers. I have considered using that rack, but I'm not convinced that it can hold that kind of weight. I plan on putting the rodi storage container higher than the salt and just refill the salt storage with a ball valve and gravity.

My plan was to just fill up the tank's ATO with a hose as needed using a T on the ball valve (maybe a 3 way ball valve, so I can direct the water in separate directions when needed) , but seeing all these setups makes me wonder if if I should automate fill ups from the RODI unit as well. Glad this thread exists!

IMG_3751.jpg

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought two 35 gallon containers to start on my station last night. I have an Apex DOS to setup AWC's. Now I have to figure out the actual logistics of where to put the station and how to plumb it.

The hot water heater is in the left corner. I plan on plumbing the rodi unit from the input there and attaching the RODI unit to the wall. I also plan to set up some shelving units where that metal rack currently is to hold the containers. I have considered using that rack, but I'm not convinced that it can hold that kind of weight. I plan on putting the rodi storage container higher than the salt and just refill the salt storage with a ball valve and gravity.

My plan was to just fill up the tank's ATO with a hose as needed using a T on the ball valve (maybe a 3 way ball valve, so I can direct the water in separate directions when needed) , but seeing all these setups makes me wonder if if I should automate fill ups from the RODI unit as well. Glad this thread exists!

IMG_3751.jpg
You could put those containers on a shelving unit. That's what I did. Mine are more traditional barrels to sthey are side by side but yours could be stacked, so the RODI gravity feeds to the saltwater container. I'd use your existing shelving unit or replace with a slightly wider/stronger one. Good luck.

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just plumbed my mixing station and tested it. All good except for one leak but the joint is so short that I don't know how to fix it. It's a piece of spa flex just barely long enough to connect two fittings (tee and a union). I want to cut somewhere and re-build, but there is nowhere to cut. All the other pieces are so short too that I won't be able to fit a coupling anywhere to join any two pieces of pipe. I think I screwed myself here.

IMG_E1587[1].JPG

IMG_E1587[1].JPG

U

User1

View Badges
I just plumbed my mixing station and tested it. All good except for one leak but the joint is so short that I don't know how to fix it. It's a piece of spa flex just barely long enough to connect two fittings (tee and a union). All the other pieces are so short too that I won't be able to fit a coupling anywhere to join any two pieces of pipe. I think I screwed myself here.

IMG_E1587[1].JPG

More or less, yes. You did. If I was in your shoes, and I'm not, I would redo it. Basically nuking half the union from the pump and starting fresh to the union leaving the container. Possibly out 2 unions and gate valves and half pvc pipe. I'd try and give yourself a bit more room leaving both pump and container and dry fit everything before gluing together final. To help dry fitting sand the pipes and fittings so that they will seat firmly all the way to end and allow you to remove easily. Then prime/glue and Bob's your Uncle.

But yeah - too little to work with so easier to just buy new unions and start over. Keep other half for spares.

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just plumbed my mixing station and tested it. All good except for one leak but the joint is so short that I don't know how to fix it. It's a piece of spa flex just barely long enough to connect two fittings (tee and a union). I want to cut somewhere and re-build, but there is nowhere to cut. All the other pieces are so short too that I won't be able to fit a coupling anywhere to join any two pieces of pipe. I think I screwed myself here.

IMG_E1587[1].JPG

IMG_E1587[1].JPG
Go to a professional plumbing supplies store, and buy a 'hub saver' in the correct size of your pipe. They are cheap, and just load in your hand drill and they cut the pipe, leaving the hub so you can use another piece of pipe and glue it right back up.

Here's one at Home Depot. https://www.homedepot.com/p/JSC-1-1-2-in-Socket-Saver-J44150/302575484

1594258410981.png

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could put those containers on a shelving unit. That's what I did. Mine are more traditional barrels to sthey are side by side but yours could be stacked, so the RODI gravity feeds to the saltwater container. I'd use your existing shelving unit or replace with a slightly wider/stronger one. Good luck.

Thank you! I definitely plan on stacking them using a shelving unit of some sort. That shelving unit is on wheels. I do have a wider one also, but my son’s sports stuff is on it. I’ll go take a look in a second to see if I could find new homes for those things and avoids buying a new shelf.

Seadoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I definitely plan on stacking them using a shelving unit of some sort. That shelving unit is on wheels. I do have a wider one also, but my son’s sports stuff is on it. I’ll go take a look in a second to see if I could find new homes for those things and avoids buying a new shelf.
I have the same tanks. You can easily build a stand with 2x4s and some deck screws. I plumbed with 3/4 PVC. The RO/DI is on top and the NSW on the bottom. The top receives water from the RO/DI unit through a float valve assembly. I eventually changed the location and type of ball valves for easy disasembly and cleaning of the tanks, and added a heater to the NSW tank.

0D008FF0-5E00-4E47-B735-BFDA5A4E0F7D.jpeg

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose any one have any advice for a way to cool down my water in my mixing station. I live in west Texas and my 55g mixing container get up to about 86-88 degrees , in my garage.

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose any one have any advice for a way to cool down my water in my mixing station. I live in west Texas and my 55g mixing container get up to about 86-88 degrees , in my garage.
I'm not sure if this would work for you or not, but a long time ago, I had a client that wanted to keep freshwater trout in a 200 in his business office. The target temp. for trout is somewhere in the middle 50's degrees Fahrenheit, I told him a chiller wouldn't take the temp that cool, and he suggested an old refrigerated drinking fountain that he had set aside.

I simply hooked a recirculation pump up to the drinking fountain, and it actually took the temp down to the 40's and the fish loved it. I know that's way too cool, but if you are in Texas, an old abandoned drinking fountain may be the ticket that you need. If it's too efficient, you could simply put a temp. probe turning on/off the refrigeration unit, to maintain your target temp. YMMV

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not very sure that shelf with the "friction" sleeves would be a secure way to shelve your tanks. Maybe look into one of those steel shelves with the peg/hole setups like others have used for these tanks?

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not very sure that shelf with the "friction" sleeves would be a secure way to shelve your tanks. Maybe look into one of those steel shelves with the peg/hole setups like others have used for these tanks?

Rhe manufacturer says the weight limit of each shelf is 500 pounds. A full 35 gallon tank should be well below that. So I think it will likely be okay. If not, I can always switch it out.

I’m planning on mounting the RODI unit lower than the container. I think I read somewhere that it doesn’t matter the heights, but I may be misremembering. I looked through and saw that several people have their RODIs mounted lower than their containers. Is there any issue with this?

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rhe manufacturer says the weight limit of each shelf is 500 pounds. A full 35 gallon tank should be well below that. So I think it will likely be okay. If not, I can always switch it out.

I’m planning on mounting the RODI unit lower than the container. I think I read somewhere that it doesn’t matter the heights, but I may be misremembering. I looked through and saw that several people have their RODIs mounted lower than their containers. Is there any issue with this?
No issues, because the discharge from the RO will be under your home water pressure. No issues with having to use gravity feed.

However, have you considered putting a well pressure tank in place of the RO tank? The advantage there would be that the well pressure tank wouldn't have to be put on a shelf at all, could set right on the floor, and would then have your local water pressure to push the water into your FSW tank, that could be setting on a shelf, and you could utilize gravity to feed, instead of having to use a pump.

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes you should be OK with the 35 gal of water on the shelf. It is def under the 500 lbs limit.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issues, because the discharge from the RO will be under your home water pressure. No issues with having to use gravity feed.

However, have you considered putting a well pressure tank in place of the RO tank? The advantage there would be that the well pressure tank wouldn't have to be put on a shelf at all, could set right on the floor, and would then have your local water pressure to push the water into your FSW tank, that could be setting on a shelf, and you could utilize gravity to feed, instead of having to use a pump.
I’m not sure what you mean by a well pressure tank. Is it just a different kind of tank than what I just purchased?

I have everything for the RODI hooked up and running. I still have some plumbing to figure out for the salt mixing one. I will have a pump that can either circulate or be pumped into the house. So that one will not rely on gravity. I’m also going to set up a dos for awc’s.

For now, I prefer it being up on a shelf because it saves me some space. The garage has 14 foot ceilings, so there’s a lot more space to work with vertically. I’m also thinking about putting in a utility sink under the RODI unit. It will be nice to have a spot to clean paint brushed and other gross things.

03FFE8D7-090E-4FE4-8DFF-10D7D926F510.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back