If you own Maxspect Gyre pumps - Buy a few sets of these. All your issues will go away.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been battling my XF350's for a while now. found the solution. If you own these, keep a few sets of these in your inventory. They cast $3.50. OMG all problems gone. I bought 6 sets . :) Its both the motor block inserts & bushings plus the cage bushing(long Prop). Unbelievable, all problems gone.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been battling my XF350's for a while now. found the solution. If you own these, keep a few sets of these in your inventory. They cast $3.50. OMG all problems gone. I bought 6 sets . :) Its both the motor block inserts & bushings plus the cage bushing(long Prop). Unbelievable, all problems gone.

I would take that a step further and buy a complete set of impellers, cages, and flow directors to make maintenance easier. That's what I plan on doing.;)

Andrew Mc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it true that vinegar will lead to ruptured magnets? As a longtime XF230 owner, I was dismayed to find that after a year of being out of service and stored, I returned to ruptured magnets in both pumps. Coralvue support tells me that I need to drop 200+ to fix them both.... no thanks

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve run mine for over a year with minimal maintenance.

Always awesome advice to keep spares, I’ll be grabbing a bunch myself.

if you want another secret to keeping gyres running…. Stop running them backwards.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it true that vinegar will lead to ruptured magnets? As a longtime XF230 owner, I was dismayed to find that after a year of being out of service and stored, I returned to ruptured magnets in both pumps. Coralvue support tells me that I need to drop 200+ to fix them both.... no thanks
It has been noted that vinegar has caused failures in numerous brands of pumps , usually swelling and cracking. I use hot water and a brush on my gyre center sections. No problems after 2 years.

Andrew Mc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been noted that vinegar has caused failures in numerous brands of pumps , usually swelling and cracking. I use hot water and a brush on my gyre center sections. No problems after 2 years.
Ipse dixit. Noted where? By Coralvue? In the Maxspect literature? Please be more specific. I know it has been "noted", I clearly stated that in my post.

Andrew Mc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - I didn't mean to bite your head off. Just frustrated with the XF230's failures and taking it out on you...

(Bought 2 pumps and controller in 11/2016. In the following three years of use, controller failed and both pumps are toast after magnets ruptured. It would be nice if the company would rectify the issues in the long term, rather than create incompatible successor models that clearly seem to be plagued what the same repetitive issues.)

Last edited:

Solga

2 lost souls swimming in a fish bowl ...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - I didn't mean to bite your head off. Just frustrated with the XF230's failures and taking it out on you...

(Bought 2 pumps and controller in 11/2016. In the following three years of use, controller failed and both pumps are toast after magnets ruptured. It would be nice if the company would rectify the issues in the long term, rather than create incompatible successor models that clearly seem to be plagued what the same repetitive issues.)

I believe what tripdad was getting to, was the sticky at the top of this sub forum by redfishbluefish ... I don't think he meant any harm in what he was typing, just that the answer to your question lies within that post.

Andrew Mc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe what tripdad was getting to, was the sticky at the top of this sub forum by redfishbluefish ... I don't think he meant any harm in what he was typing, just that the answer to your question lies within that post.

Hence my apology. My point is that the manufacturer (Maxspect) should be the one broadcasting this information - not the consumers / end-users. I've found their (CoralVue) YT videos to be littered with mistakes and very unrealistic - extract the shaft from the wrong end, the ease of which they remove the star, etc. If I am overlooking an instance in which Maxspect is instructing gyre owners of the dangers of vinegar then I wish someone would bring it to my attention. If I was a RESPONSIBLE pump manufacturer/retailer and I knew that vinegar was potentially destructive to my goods, I'd (1) educate the consumer and (2) offer an alternative solution. Heck, they could even sell a pump cleaning packet with the proper citric acid in pre-measured amounts. I've soaked Eheim and Tunze pumps alongside my gyres and never had a problem with either Tunze or Eheim pumps.

Instead, it appears Maxprofit just sits back quietly as hobbyists' destroy their gyre's shaft magnets and motor blocks while salivating over the incoming revenue generated by replacement parts sales...

In my case, a 2019 post regarding the dangers of vinegar wouldn't have helped me one bit. Surely the manufacturer knew or should have known of this potential issue, they are the experts in the field and their knowledge of proper maintenance procedures should be state of the art. That knowledge should be clearly shared with the consumer in real time. Of course that's the ethical high road IMHO.

Solga

2 lost souls swimming in a fish bowl ...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead, it appears Maxprofit just sits back quietly as hobbyists' destroy their gyre's shaft magnets and motor blocks while salivating over the incoming revenue generated by replacement parts sales...

I couldn't agree with you more. Unfortunately, it is an all too common occurrence in the world that we live in, and not just in the aquarium pump industry.

It's becoming, if it isn't already there completely, a throw away world focused on the next big check. ;Vomit

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve run mine for over a year with minimal maintenance.

Always awesome advice to keep spares, I’ll be grabbing a bunch myself.

if you want another secret to keeping gyres running…. Stop running them backwards.
Explain the reverse issue?

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an extra long brush with semi rigid bristles and I'll push it between the cage openings while it's running and that sheds all the algae off the top of the blades, then in reverse, then back to normal setting. Not really enough to slow the gyre down but enough to see gunk go flying out coming off the blades.

Great little way to get a little extra flow between cleanings.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my xf250 for about 3 years now. It's been out of my tank for cleaning about every couple months. Haven't had any of the issues some other have noted about the maxspect line of gyres.

Motor block normal, magnets normal, bearings normal, motor star block(no idea what to call this) normal, propellers normal. Only different thing I do is run it off my apex instead of using it's own controller, so really can't comment on controller issues.

Oh and I do run them 3 seconds forward, 3 seconds backwards, alternating every 5 seconds. Haven't had a single issue with mine.

Not sure what some people do with their pumps to need so many spare parts? Heck I still have 2 mp10's that are over 10 years old, still using the same wet sides they came with.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No worries, I'm not that fragile, lol. I try not to state " facts" as most everything in this hobby is backed up by anecdotal evidence and not empirical evidence. When I said it has been noted I meant by other hobbyists. Companies have no reason to do any after the sale investigation as far as use, care, longevity etc.. Most are smaller concerns, relative to the business world, and have to stay focused on development and sales. That sucks but it is the way it is. I will not buy the latest and greatest until after it has been on the market for at least a year because of this very issue. I don't have the throw away cash to be someone else's test department. Wouldn't even if I was ultra wealthy.

Andrew Mc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries, I'm not that fragile, lol. I try not to state " facts" as most everything in this hobby is backed up by anecdotal evidence and not empirical evidence. When I said it has been noted I meant by other hobbyists. Companies have no reason to do any after the sale investigation as far as use, care, longevity etc.. Most are smaller concerns, relative to the business world, and have to stay focused on development and sales. That sucks but it is the way it is. I will not buy the latest and greatest until after it has been on the market for at least a year because of this very issue. I don't have the throw away cash to be someone else's test department. Wouldn't even if I was ultra wealthy.
And yet CoralVue says vinegar is fine:

645C8EA6-0154-460E-B5D7-B3E44380E0AE_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Explain the reverse issue?
To put it bluntly, they run like crap in reverse.

they generate next to zero flow running backwards, and the operation just isn’t as smooth. They get load and the magnets seem to get chewed up.

i set mine to run forward only and they’ve been silent for almost 2 years.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back